Reef Octopus sro 3000 int

jrhunter0000

Market
Reaction score
Received my christmas present today from my mom and wife. Put that thing in my sump and within a hour already pulling gunk. Just amazed at a awesome skimmer. Anyone know of some mods for it? Its already silent just looking for performance.

I have purchased the output pipes to make it more silent and don't hear the water splashing coming out when it was on service, then I purchased the neck cleaner, haven't tried that yet. I actually was about to purchase the neck extension for it until I win the raffle at the Christmas Party :D

jrhunter0000;1002930 wrote: Received my christmas present today from my mom and wife. Put that thing in my sump and within a hour already pulling gunk. Just amazed at a awesome skimmer. Anyone know of some mods for it? Its already silent just looking for performance.

I added a neck extension (you can add up to 4, it adds dwell time to the bubbles), the neck cleaner is awesome, it makes maintenance a breeze. I did realize pretty quickly that it's way too messy to remove the skim cup and neck cleaner so I added a skim locker and now it's nothing to clean out and it has a auto shutoff value when it's full.

I seen the neck extension. So its worth it? I been skimmerless for a week now and the skimmers been running for 2 hours already pulled some crap. Very pleased.

Bgcoop8784;1003039 wrote: The Avast works great, or you can just buy the avast pressure switch and use a 5 gallon bucket. I use the avast pressure switch on my DIY skimmate locker and I also use one on my 40B for the ATO switch, very accurate and no moving parts to get gunked up with skimmate.

Awesome idea will look into this.

Bassett22;1003132 wrote: That's why I'm wanting more info!

Wish I could give you more, but I remember being frustrated when nothing in my home plumbing supply "store" would fit properly.

With most metric PVC you can take a standard fitting and with a dremel expand the opening till it will fit, then you have it on standard

Bassett22;1003125 wrote: What output pipes? Just PVC from home depot or is there some of kit? Please elaborate.
http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-protein-skimmer-50mm-output-vent">http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-protein-skimmer-50mm-output-vent</a>.

I actually was referring to this one, will reduce the splashing water noise in the output

It's a matter of preference.
I'm pretty handy with tools and materials and I knew what it could take and how much would cost to have just joined a white PVC pipe; however that couldn't satisfied my liking for this skimmer, if I wanted a low cost skimmer I could just have gotten acrylic pipe, acrylic sheet; then assembled, purchased a Bubble blaster pump and here I might have a knock-off.
Actually I known someone who has built similar skimmers as the Bubble king brand, he have installed the red dragon pump on them. Honestly if I really want something that It's known for quality, performance and a recognized brand I will just go for it, I will not skimp on get me the similar or a copy of it, have used a knockoff from the Bubble magus brand and it performed excellent with me, but if I had the money at that time to get me a better one with It's own brand components...I would have it purchased

Back