Reef safe silicone.

rdnelson

Market
Reaction score
Yeah I am one of those lazy people you hate. So if it bothers you that I am asking a question that has been answered over and over you may want to move on. :). After sitting infront if a computer for 50+ hours a week I don't feel much like searching the Internet. :)

I am getting ready to reseal my tank. I know one type of the GE Silicone is safe and has no mold prohibitor but I can't remember which it is. Care to help?

Just to throw another option out there....

Grant mentioned this in his new build

ref=sr_1_1

A side question... does the RTV103 product have any properties that make it preferable to use? IE stronger bond, greater UV resistance, reduced outgassing in the curing stages, etc?

RTV103 is a lot stronger than GE 1. It is what you use for a rimless tank.

I would not use GE I. All GE products now contain fungicide as of a few years ago. I just rebuilt my tank and used ASI Aquarium sealant. They sell it at BRS but I found it cheaper at best materials.com
I use GE silicon on a regular basis and the ASI stuff is way stronger. Its also specifically designed for aquariums.

detail.aspx

On a side note, I'd recommend resealing it in a dry area. Garage or basement with a dehumidifier running 24 hours ahead of time. The more humid the air is the faster silicone dries. Even with help I had a few stops that dried to fast. Basically you need one person sealing the tank and another removing the tape.

A side question... does the RTV103 product have any properties that make it preferable to use? IE stronger bond, greater UV resistance, reduced outgassing in the curing stages, etc?

I'm sorry , I don't have any experience with this particular product. It looked cool, that is I like the black look, and it is reported to be stronger. I included it mostly so Rich could do all the research and then tell me all about it. ;-)

Another member Grant ( ghbrewer ) used it on his rimless build, maybe send him a PM

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93292">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93292</a>

as for the use of GE silicone in a reef tank, it is a subject that has debated about alot, don't believe me do a search....

Allen;984657 wrote: GE Type 1 is perfectly safe. The key is to ensure that it is properly cured, as with any silicone.

As mentioned, RVT103 is impressively stronger.

Don't waste your money on silicone marketed toward aquarists.

I researched silicon thoroughly before rebuilding my tank. Yes many people use GE 1 with no problems. ASI is stronger and more durable at the same price so it was a no brainer for me. It also dries more clear than GE stuff.

cnbridge;984698 wrote: I've got a couple of tubes of momentum rtv in black if your interested.

How much you want for them? Coming to the meeting tomorrow?

$5 a tube. Their the 10oz size. Not coming to the meeting, I'm in charge of the wife's garage sale this weekend.

cnbridge;984702 wrote: $5 a tube. Their the 10oz size. Not coming to the meeting, I'm in charge of the wife's garage sale this weekend.

Let me think on it. Not sure I want black. Strength isn't a big deal because it is not rimless. Think you have enough to do the 4 ventricle seems in a 120?

Decided to go with GE 1. Deciding factors: 1. I want to stay with clear, 2. Strength is not a big concern, 3. readily available.

Back