Reef safe with caution

Lemonpeel angel will be a terror, in my experience. It will go to town right away on your corals. The only angels I have found that are reef safe are the genicanthus family: watanabi, bellus, etc.

I would not get the copperband unless you are using him for nuisance anemone removal (and then be prepared to remove it). At some point it will realize it is living in an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord.

But it really depends on your tank and goals. Large hammer corals are not going to get eaten by the fish you mention.

Not 1 good Copper band story on this entire post makes me not want one anymore. 😕
I feel bad for you because I really wanted one too but changed my mind. We are starting up a FOWLR tank soon so we can have some of the non reef saf fish we want too

Not 1 good Copper band story on this entire post makes me not want one anymore. 😕
Ok here's 1 good Copperband story. I've had one for about 2 1/2 years and he's fat and happy. First, they are definitely not a fish for beginners. Second, I wouldn't recommend adding one until your tank is well established. Third, they are finicky eaters. I made sure his weight was good and they fed him mysis for me in store before I purchased. If you don't typically quarantine you definitely need to for this fish, if for no other reason then to get him eating good before introducing it to your DT. This is obviously a thin bodied fish that can't afford to lose a lot of weight. I started him in qt with live black worms, Copperbands can't resist them. Once he was eating those well and not losing weight (about 4 days) I started to offer mysis shrimp. At first he wouldn't even look at it. I would skip a day feeding and eventually (after about the 2nd week in qt) he started taking mysis. When He was totally on the Mysis I transferred him to my display. The first few days he couldn't compete with the usual feeding frenzy and stayed in the back but I fed mysis with my pumps on and blew food all over the tank so he was getting some. After a week he came around and started to feed with the rest of the group. It won't eat flake or pellets. I buy Ocean Nutrition frozen clams on the half shell to supplement a couple times a week. I have to rubber band them to a long handle scoop and put a screen over the clam to keep other fish from stealing it. He loves the clams.
It never bothers any corals. The only shrimp I have is large coral banded and he never bothers it. I have a Mexican turbo that has been in there longer then he has and he never bother it either. He goes at it with the rest of the population at feeding time. I don't coddle it or give it any special attention. Once he got comfortable in the DT he's been very hardy and a model citizen.

Attachments

• Aquarium 3.jpg
    Aquarium 3.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 18
Ok here's 1 good Copperband story. I've had one for about 2 1/2 years and he's fat and happy. First, they are definitely not a fish for beginners. Second, I wouldn't recommend adding one until your tank is well established. Third, they are finicky eaters. I made sure his weight was good and they fed him mysis for me in store before I purchased. If you don't typically quarantine you definitely need to for this fish, if for no other reason then to get him eating good before introducing it to your DT. This is obviously a thin bodied fish that can't afford to lose a lot of weight. I started him in qt with live black worms, Copperbands can't resist them. Once he was eating those well and not losing weight (about 4 days) I started to offer mysis shrimp. At first he wouldn't even look at it. I would skip a day feeding and eventually (after about the 2nd week in qt) he started taking mysis. When He was totally on the Mysis I transferred him to my display. The first few days he couldn't compete with the usual feeding frenzy and stayed in the back but I fed mysis with my pumps on and blew food all over the tank so he was getting some. After a week he came around and started to feed with the rest of the group. It won't eat flake or pellets. I buy Ocean Nutrition frozen clams on the half shell to supplement a couple times a week. I have to rubber band them to a long handle scoop and put a screen over the clam to keep other fish from stealing it. He loves the clams.
It never bothers any corals. The only shrimp I have is large coral banded and he never bothers it. I have a Mexican turbo that has been in there longer then he has and he never bother it either. He goes at it with the rest of the population at feeding time. I don't coddle it or give it any special attention. Once he got comfortable in the DT he's been very hardy and a model citizen.
Nice story!!!

I would agree with every bit of this as it ties exactly to my own personal experience. Thanks for the positive story!! Such a beautiful fish and I know so many ends up dead because most hobbyist doesn't understand how to care for it properly. I thought I did when I got it, but in the end, I wasn't able to.

Nice fish, and nice tank, love the blue background.

How big is your tank? I see a lion fish in there too. I was under the impression they aren’t reef safe either. Or other fish safe for that matter

Thanks ... Flame angle ,lion fish ,copper banded , this guy's got a tank full of with cautions ⚠️ ..lol

How big is your tank? I see a lion fish in there too. I was under the impression they aren’t reef safe either. Or other fish safe for that matter
Tank is a 90g. That's a dwarf Zebra Lion. They get about 6-7" adult size. They are often misunderstood. Like the Copperband not a beginner fish. They require a diet of mostly live food. They are totally reef safe with caution. The caution is they will eat about anything that will fit in their mouth, and they have a large mouth. Mine is currently about 3" and when he yawns he could easily fit a dime in his mouth. I feed it live ghost shrimp about the same size as many ornamental shrimp along with guppies and live Mollies. He takes the Mollies no problem. Doesn't bother anything it can't get in it's mouth like corals, snails, crabs etc. I do have a large coral banded shrimp but it's too big so he never gives it a second look. I just don't buy anything small that I don't want him to eat. It's not at all aggressive toward other fish (that it can't eat), in fact has a great personality and eats right out of my hand. The Lion and Copperband are my 2 favorites.

Attachments

• lionfish feeding.jpg
    lionfish feeding.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Lionfish).jpg
    Lionfish).jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 10
Thanks ... Flame angle ,lion fish ,copper banded , this guy's got a tank full of with cautions ⚠️ ..lol
Yeah call me a renegade. Actually the Flame was ok for about 6 months but then the with caution kicked in. Started anihilating Acro's and Tracy's. Took me a while to figure it out cause he only did it at night, sneaky bastard! Went back to the lfs for store credit. The only Angel I ever had that was totally safe was a Coral Beauty. Mine never bothered anything but I've heard good and bad about them also.

Yeah call me a renegade. Actually the Flame was ok for about 6 months but then the with caution kicked in. Started anihilating Acro's and Tracy's. Took me a while to figure it out cause he only did it at night, sneaky bastard! Went back to the lfs for store credit. The only Angel I ever had that was totally safe was a Coral Beauty. Mine never bothered anything but I've heard good and bad about them also.
I have a coral beauty in a 40 gallon tank with a bratty sailfin tang. I occasionally quarantine corals in there. Can’t tell if it nips at them or just at things on the plugs. A little scared to add it to my display because I have a lot of nice corals I don’t want snacked on

Back