reef-safe wrasse help

kkcrowe

Market
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am in the beginning stages of setting up my 180 gallon reef tank. I am researching and getting my stock list in order. I have done some reef-safe wrasse research, but I haven't been able to find why prices vary so dramatically among these wrasses. I was assuming rarity, but then I see more expensive wrasses available as often as others, in some cases. I thought maybe the difficulty in obtaining the specimens (i.e., deeper water), difficulty in shipping, etc. but I really just don't know. For example, I would really like a small group of Hawaiin Flame Wrasse (cirrhilabrus jordani); a male and 2-3 females introduced at the same time. However, that's quite an expensive investment, there. For example, Diver's Den/LiveAquaria list the following at these prices:

Hawaiin Flame Wrasse (cirrhilabrus jordani)- $249-$399 depending on size :wow2:
McCosker Flasher Wrasse (paracheilinus mccosker)- $44.99
Longfin Fairy Wrasse (cirrhilabrus rubriventralis)- $34.99

Quite a range there. Can anyone give me some insight as to why different reef-safe wrasses vary so dramatically in some cases? I love the Hawaiin's but just can't justify spending over $1,000 for a small group. Thanks!

Kevin

Color (and therefore) desirablility combined with rarity in most cases. You can mix and match fairy and flame wrasses pretty much to your heart's content.

Wth... Where are u getting these prices. Their 3-5 times the price you get at our local sponsors..

Wrasse prices can be driven by rarity, difficulty in collection, extreme coloration, etc. I just bought 2 Lubbock's from SEA this week for a very reasonable price and I think they're gorgeous.

I'd say that the market is driven by what the consumer is willing to pay. Anything from the divers den will be more expensive than most sponsors. The divers den claims to have an extensive qt process and that will cause more money to go into that fish. If that appeals to the customer, then they pay that price.

I just got a very healthy and reasonably priced Tamarin Wrasse at Sea....similar quality to Kevin's Divers Den, IMHO.

Diver's Den, to answer Than's question. Thanks, folks. I am planning on several pairs of compatible fairy wrasses for this tank. Ready to get started soon.

bigtom70@hotmail.com;754342 wrote: I was speaking to a friend of mine about this last night. He told me that NO wrasses are reef safe, all of them will eat your cleaner shrimp, and maybe other memebers of your clean up crew. He told me to avoid all wrasses in my reef tank, even those that are advertised as reef safe. Thoughts?

Not true at all....have had many wrasses over the years without any issues of them eating shrimps or other inverts.

I have had a Mystery Wrasse for 4 or 5 months in my reef with mulitple shrimp and have never had a problem

bigtom70@hotmail.com;754352 wrote: He mentioned that if the shrimp were established in the tank when you add the wrasses, probably no problem. But if you add on to your cleaning crew after the wrasses are established, then they'll see the shrimp as lunch.

All scenarios are different. Some fish will eat shrimp, some won't. That's a pretty bold statement for someone to claim that ALL wrasses will eat cleaner shrimp.

That would be like me saying all white people eat hot dogs and hamburgers. A lot of white people might, but not ALL.

Agree, local sponsors can be much cheaper if you give them a chance.

LiveRock27;754348 wrote: I have had a Mystery Wrasse for 4 or 5 months in my reef with mulitple shrimp and have never had a problem

That's the only wrasse that I've owned that had an issue with shrimp. Bought it from MvM, several years ago, he had it housed with shrimp no problems. Brought it home and it killed my Cleaner the very next morning, began harassing it right away.

I've had several flashers and fairies with no issues though with any inverts.

Can someone offer a link to a list or a list of more "reef safe" wrasses? When I stock my new tank I'm looking to pick up a few.

A good thing to look at while shopping for a wrasse is the size of the mouth. The wrasses I have had with smaller mouths ( fairy and flashers) have never been a problem for me. My melanarus has a larger mouth and I can't keep a peppermint shrimp in my tank. My cleaner is fine though.

mysterybox;739894 wrote: I just got a very healthy and reasonably priced Tamarin Wrasse at Sea....similar quality to Kevin's Divers Den, IMHO.

I definitely need to get over to SEA. I haven't been yet. Thanks.

Nice shop but they didn't have a lot to see when I was last there.

Mouth sizee is not always a great teller...i had a bird wrasse that would beat things on lr till it could it it....that was awsome to watch.ive notticed if i get a small one it never touches them, but if i by an adult it iffy

I just added a Christmas Wrasse to my 60 gallon Frag tank and he seems to be doing great. He eats alot of pest and I have found a hermit crab leg or 2 but no issues with my cleaner shrimp.

I also added a Melanurus Wrasse to a smaller frag tank 20 gal. and he seems to be getting along well with my clowns and the cleaner shrimp. I have watched him eat a nudibranch and iso or copods off rocks and Zoas. I will move him to a bigger tank someday but hes doing his job now as a hunter. I always dip corals and clean but I add them to the 20 for a couple weeks to watch before I transfer to 60 .
Good luck
Oh and these both were very nice fish and they came from Sea Atlanta

Ripped Tide;754355 wrote: All scenarios are different. Some fish will eat shrimp, some won't. That's a pretty bold statement for someone to claim that ALL wrasses will eat cleaner shrimp.

That would be like me saying all white people eat hot dogs and hamburgers. A lot of white people might, but not ALL.
I do,and I buy them at Walmart.......lol

Back