Reefbreeder or Current USA LED?

ndeksone

Supporting
Reaction score
I've found two similarly priced used fixtures for my 35 cube. One is a reefbreeders photon 24 and one is a current usa 24-36" orbit marine. Both are complete. The reefbreeders is $10 more. Which should I buy and why? Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I own both and imho The Reef Breeder is simply more powerful. The light spectrum is much better as well. I like the Marine Orbit and its simplicity of controls and options. But, I would only recommend them in a very shallow reef setup.

Bcavalli;1054273 wrote: I own both and imho The Reef Breeder is simply more powerful. The light spectrum is much better as well. I like the Marine Orbit and its simplicity of controls and options. But, I would only recommend them in a very shallow reef setup.
Will the reefbreeders not be overkill fir my little 35? Will both grow sps and soft corals?

Reefbreeders would get my vote. I don't have one but I've seen both in use and I think the Reefbreeders unit will give you better lighting.

porpoiseaquatics;1054275 wrote: Reefbreeders would get my vote. I don't have one but I've seen both in use and I think the Reefbreeders unit will give you better lighting.
I know it's a much more expensive light new, but was just wondering if I need that much of a light on my small reef tank. I like the features of the orbit as well as the styling. Ultimately, though, I suppose I should go for the better light.

Let me put it this way....there are a ton of Orbits on eBay for sale however there's not a single Reefbreeders. That tells me that overall, people are satisfied with their Reefbreeder units and not so much with the Orbits. Just a thought.

The reefbreeder is programmable from 10% to 100% just like the Orbit Marine. However, big difference is 3 watt LEDs vs .5 watts. Also the Rb has something like 20 more LEDs for the Photon 48. Not sure about the RB 32.

When programming the RB you would probably start at 40% Blues and 10% whites. With the Marine Orbit you would start out with the depth of your tank at about 80% Blues and 30% whites.

This is a no brainer for me: RB all the way.

While I haven't owned either fixture, I have seen plenty.

Plus, I see your post count is only 19, so I'm assuming you are relatively new to the hobby. This hobby is addictive, and I'd say that an upgrade in your future is probable... once the bug bites. The RB fixture will upgrade with you a lot further than the orbit.

JBDreefs;1054285 wrote: This is a no brainer for me: RB all the way.

While I haven't owned either fixture, I have seen plenty.

Plus, I see your post count is only 19, so I'm assuming you are relatively new to the hobby. This hobby is addictive, and I'd say that an upgrade in your future is probable... once the bug bites. The RB fixture will upgrade with you a lot further than the orbit.

John...that's a solid point and should be part of the consideration.

Reef breeder.... Oceanrevive for the win.

I own all three and the orbit is "worse" than a home build job I put together.

porpoiseaquatics;1054324 wrote: John...that's a solid point and should be part of the consideration.
Sadly I've discovered that the reefbreeders lamps the guy has for sale are NOT the photon 24, which he originally sent me a photo of. They are in fact the 18" economy models, BUT he offered to sell me 3 of them for $200. Should i still buy? Will an 18" economy reefbreeders LED still outperform a 24" orbit? What are these units actually worth used, assuming they work perfectly? Anyone wanna buy one? Lol

I've had several different brands of LED fixtures over the years. However I've never owned a Orbit Marine fixture. If your looking for a reasonable LED fixture that will grow SPS and other corals, I would go with the Reefbreeders Photons. I've owned several of the fixtures and given there assembled and built by the Chinese they perform quite well. The fixture is same exact fixture I believe that's sold by an ebay seller with a different name and it's a bit cheaper. However, Reef Breeders modifies there Leds to there specs and they are a full spectrum fixture that comes with a 2 year warranty. The warranty is carried over if you buy a used fixture, That's provided the original Reef Breeders seal is not tampered with.

I've seen some ARC members tanks with Reef Breeders running and there successfully growing SPS. In fact I know of one member that has a 180 with Reef Breeders running and his SPS colonies are huge and striving.

Reefkeeper;1054376 wrote: I've had several different brands of LED fixtures over the years. However I've never owned a Orbit Marine fixture. If your looking for a reasonable LED fixture that will grow SPS and other corals, I would go with the Reefbreeders Photons. I've owned several of the fixtures and given there assembled and built by the Chinese they perform quite well. The fixture is same exact fixture I believe that's sold by an ebay seller with a different name and it's a bit cheaper. However, Reef Breeders modifies there Leds to there specs and they are a full spectrum fixture that comes with a 2 year warranty. The warranty is carried over if you buy a used fixture, That's provided the original Reef Breeders seal is not tampered with.

I've seen some ARC members tanks with Reef Breeders running and there successfully growing SPS. In fact I know of one member that has a 180 with Reef Breeders running and his SPS colonies are huge and striving.
But is the 18" adequate fire my 35 cube?

The Reefbreeder Photons only come in 16", 24" and bigger. I would think a 16" would work out fine. They come standard with 90 degree lenses. I would suggest going to there Web Site and getting the number and call them. I did exactly that before I purchased my fixtures. The gentleman I spoke to was very helpful.

I have no experience with Reefbreeders but I do have 2 of the Current Orbit lights and like them. Seem plenty bright. I have softies, LPS and SPS in my tank (a 60 cube) and everything is doing well. I like the programmability and the pre-programmed programs. I especially like the blues. Nice lights for me for the price.

If you are comparing just the regular Orbit Marine fixtures to the Reef Breeders then go with the Reef Breeders for sure. In my opinion the regular Current Orbit Marine fixtures are better for fish only or low light reef tanks. They lose a lot of spectrum penetration after 10-12".

Current does have a newer fixture out called the Orbit Marine PRO. This fixture will be a lot more comparable to the RB as far as light out put goes and will have a lot more features then the RB. And they also have actual lens on the fixture now so the depth penetration will be far superior to a regular Orbit Marine fixture. But it should be mentioned the PRO fixtures start to get into price points of nicer LED brands such as Kessil and MaxSpec.

Either way we do VERY well with all Current fixtures. Very minimal returns on them. American based company so customer service is really good and fast. Hard to beat Current on price short of going with "Chinese" or "Ebay" LED fixtures which will lack customer service, return ability, etc.

Back