Reefbreeders Photon 48- I have no led knowledge!!!

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
Since my temp T5 has now become partially disabled I am going to go ahead and make the plunge and get an led light. I initially wanted Kessil lights and have slowly decided over the last few months to go in another direction mainly because of price.

The Reefbreeder 48 looks good but I am concerned with how it would work with my set up. I have a standard 90 gallon tank, 48 inches long.

Some of these questions may seem dumb, work with me.

Can a light like this sit directly on the glass covers or on top of the wooden braces that allow the canopy to sit on top of the tank? The reefbreeder model is 47.25 in length. So it works in theory. I do not necessarily want to hang the light. My custom made canopy flips open and my little princess likes to play ballerina and it trembles the tank.

What about optics? I have no idea what the difference is between 120, 90 or 60 degree optics.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
961240=54363-image.jpg
>
961240=54363-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Optics will depend on mounting height. 120 will give a great spread and less spotlighting at lower mounting height. I prefer 120 regardless. If you need more par. Just increase the intensity. Leds are very bright even though it might not be apparent to our eyes

Also mounting hardware is very secure. It might rock a tad but the cables support hundreds if not thousands of lbs.

Dude let me know what you think of these lights because I have the same questions as you. I'm wanting to mount them in my canopy with my MH 250x2. I think they are priced great and have very good reviews. Please keep me posted

Thanks for the replies guys. I added a picture to make easier to understand. I have the hood propped open with a paint can. The doors are off and you can see the brace in the back for the canopy to sit on the aquarium.

I could add fake braves higher to get the light above the water level but then I have to be concerned about the ability of the light to hold its own weight. I assume they are designed to sit on a surface or be suspended with the weight distributed in different directions.

Hey Mikesmith, I stumbled across a couple of other threads, I may only need a 32 inch unit, I'm not sure. Also, the photon series lights are on backorder.

I have a really tall canopy Bgcoop because I planned on buying Kessil lights when I had it built. I've been reading every thread I can find for the last few hours. Based on the center brace I may be better off to go with two smaller units rather than one longer one.

It's a real bummer that reefbreeders are on backorder. My T5 has to be replaced quickly.

Already found them Bgcoop. They are the back up if I can't get a RB model.

I have the photon 48 over my 120 and its really a great light! Logan is awesome and provides incredible service for his products. I had my controller go bad and the replacement was sent out next day. It was piece of cake to pull the case off and install the new controller.

As far as hanging it in an enclosed canopy I bought T Track from a wood working store and pulled out the exsisiting mounting screws and put in the t track screws with a nut inside the case. Ill post pictures later of my install.

I have the Photon 48 and I am not disappointed in the least. I ran the gammit of T5's and 2 150 MH before I went w/the Photon. Center brace is not an issue at all. I have the 90 degree optics at Logan's recommendation and shimmer and output make a really nice effect. As stated above Logan is more than willing to make the customer happy AND he takes the time to see what your needs are and that you are satisfied w/your purchase.

Check out canadareef.com I think they have the ever grow lights same as reef breeder

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention the optics. I ordered 90 degree optics for my original 90 gallon tall. Once I switched tanks to the 120 i removed the optic lenses which gives you a 120 degree spread.

Back