refactometer got water in it can it be fixed???

roland jacques

Market
Reaction score
I had a tray that was holding my refractometer. It got accidentally filled with RO water. It was about 3" deep and creped into my refractometer. Needless to say it does not work now. i wonder if their is a way of taking it apart and saving it?

I just got it, it 's the one with the LED light in it. (which by the way is a great feature especially for those of us with older eyes like me)

Any help would e appreciated thank you

This is the model i have.

a>

If it was RO water after you drain it out and dry it with paper towels as best you can, set it in the oven with the open end up. Set your oven at 150F degress, but don't let the heat get above 165F. Let it stay in there for 4 hours at least. Put in some new batteries. If that doesn't work get a new one. I used this procedure many times in my work when electronics got soaked with water. It had a pretty good success record. Jeff

The light was not afected it still works.

It just wont read anything at all. I guess the mosture affects somthing inside. i figured how to take apart enough to let it air out with a little heat hope this works, thanks

Oh My Goodness, this thing has a LOT of parts.
I broke it down all most all the way used alcohol hair dryer Q-tips... and now the sealed lenses section is in the oven. i think it will be saved i Will probably have to break that "sealed" lenses down also but ill see what the oven does first.

i would test it against another one and at diffrent salinities just to be on the safe side glead you didnt have to spend the money on a new one

Good to hear the reafractometer is okay, but what about the water you dropped it in? Put that in the oven too, just to be safe.

Back