Refractometer heads up

george

Market
Reaction score
For anyone who doesn't yet have a Refractometer (WHY don't you have one?), now is your chance with a good price from Drs. Foster and Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9957">Portable Refractometer</a>

Find out how far off your hydrometer really is.

every refracto that I've used or seen was testing about .005 off from the value where it should be. This is a great piece of equipment to buy for your reef!

Ya I got my refracto and tested it against my Hydrometer... Refracto = 1.025 Hydrometer = 1.021 BIG difference!!!!!

That is a very good one for the money. I have it and now I can't live with out it. LOL!

I remember when i switched over my hydrometer was reading 1.025 and the refracto read 1.031!!!

boxermark;29709 wrote: I had my hydrometer calibrated at The Fish Store. They compared the reading with a refractometer and wrote the adjustment on the hydrometer. Now I know how much to compensate. I still want to get a refractometer but it is not the priority.

good post, if you can't afford a refractometer, get your hydrometer calibrated w/ a refractometer!

boxermark;29709 wrote: I had my hydrometer calibrated at The Fish Store. They compared the reading with a refractometer and wrote the adjustment on the hydrometer. Now I know how much to compensate. I still want to get a refractometer but it is not the priority.

Here is the problem with this.... Over time, depending on how you clean your Hydrometer, salt will build up on the needle. When that happens, your "calabrated" unit will start reading lower over time.

A refractometer is also not affected by temperature variations (within reason).

Calibrating your hydrometer helps, but in the long run, the refractometer pays for itself for its accuracy. Would you use a thermometer that had a 15%-20% inaccuracy?

I don't think anyone is arguing Hydro over Refractometer, but if you can't afford a Refractometer, the advice to get the Hydrometer calibrated and to maintain it is very good advice, imo.

MattTVI;29721 wrote: I don't think anyone is arguing Hydro over Refractometer, but if you can't afford a Refractometer, the advice to get the Hydrometer calibrated and to maintain it is very good advice, imo.
I quite agree. You should calibrate all your equipment. Even the refractometer. :) Though you don't need the LFS for that.

George;29724 wrote: I quite agree. You should calibrate all your equipment. Even the refractometer. :) Though you don't need the LFS for that.

yeah, i just had to re-recalibrate my refractometer... :) Kind of embarrassing as i had let it go too long without checking it and it was off by .002 ...

MattTVI;29727 wrote: yeah, i just had to re-recalibrate my refractometer... :) Kind of embarrassing as i had let it go too long without checking it and it was off by .002 ...

You should be ashamed of yourself. LOL

MattTVI;29721 wrote: but if you can't afford a Refractometer, the advice to get the Hydrometer calibrated and to maintain it is very good advice, imo.

We will see how well it does down the road but the Refractometer that I got off ebay for $20 is more affordable then a POS Hydrometer any day. Buying a refractometer should be considered a needed expense in setting up a reef tank!

lets not forget the how easy it is to use the refrac over they hydrometer....

its cleaner, dryer, and you dont have to tap out the bubbles.....

I bought mine at Dr. F&S as well....worth every penny in my opinion....

but i do like the idea of claibrating the hydrometer if you cant spend the cash right now.....very smart...and you can do it every 6mos or something to keep it somewhat accurate.

Diff in reading in my tank from hydro to refrac:

hydro: 1.023
refrac: 1.027

very big difference!

Considering the money people spend on lighting and other equipment for their tanks, a refractometer is fairly inexpensive and couldn't be more important. I reccomend one to everyone.

I think thats the same one i have.... and I paid double for my at a LFS, so thats a really good price.

Back