Refugium- in sump or separate tank?

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
In moving and combining my sumps to the basement, I wonder whether it is better to have a refugium in the sump or use external tank for refugium? TIA for any info.

I personally prefer to have a remote refugium, this slows me to regulate the amount of flow, control light spill over on equipment such as protein skimmer, and clean my refugium separately from the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you have it connected to your sump? I think a separate refugium would make keeping the sump clean easier, but extra plumbing means more chances for issues, so debating whether it is worth it. When I finish all the plumbing I will have two upstairs tanks and one tank in basement all plumbed to same sump and same system already.

Remote is a great way to go so you can control every aspect of it. This assumes you've got plenty of room. I also like a large remote refugium because you can cut it off from the rest of the system, drain the water, fill it back up and call that a really easy water change. My next system is going to have a separate tank dedicated to just that purpose.

Does anyone have a pics of their separate setup? Trying to get ideas. I have an area that is 12x8 for everything to fit (once I clean all the junk out :)), so I have room either way.

How do you have it connected to your sump? I think a separate refugium would make keeping the sump clean easier, but extra plumbing means more chances for issues, so debating whether it is worth it. When I finish all the plumbing I will have two upstairs tanks and one tank in basement all plumbed to same sump and same system already.

Mine sits above the sump and has three drains to insure that it shouldn’t overflow. One drain is a dedicated emergency drain. I also use prefilter sponge to prevent drain line clogging with loose cheato or snails.

Do you have a photo of that? Trying to visualize the setup. My sump will be in basement and I can build a stand to lift a refugium up and over sump. Do you use a separate pump or t- off the main return? I am new to figuring this sort of thing out as I have only run refugiums as a chamber in the sump.

it doesnt really matter where it is as long as its got decent flow rate and gravity drains into the tank system.

I have tried several times to start a fuge in the center chamber of my sump. There's just too much flow running through there and any macro's I put in get sucked through the bubble trap to the return chamber. I just put extra rock in that chamber now. If I didn't run an ATS I'd have put a fuge in it's place remotely.

Do you have a photo of that? Trying to visualize the setup. My sump will be in basement and I can build a stand to lift a refugium up and over sump. Do you use a separate pump or t- off the main return? I am new to figuring this sort of thing out as I have only run refugiums as a chamber in the sump.

When I had a remote fuge I just T'd off the return line for it and the fuge would gravity feed back into the sump. I think its ideal to have the fuge gravity feed into the main tank if possible so you get lots of pods feeding the display.

When I had a remote fuge I just T'd off the return line for it and the fuge would gravity feed back into the sump. I think its ideal to have the fuge gravity feed into the main tank if possible so you get lots of pods feeding the display.
That is what I thought, but trying to make sure I plan for the best possible outcome before I make any more permanent decisions on this upgrade.

f5770fc151432ab981dbf274c76b01e1.jpg
b527718b8ea42b9a14317e7ba5e8361b.jpg

It’s a mess, I know.

Do you have a photo you could share of how you have attached to your sump? Thanks!
I sure have, here it is. Notice on last picture how much my chaeto/caleurpa has grown!

Attachments

• D4FBF7B9-2AB4-46F8-9BAE-86849743A674.jpeg
    D4FBF7B9-2AB4-46F8-9BAE-86849743A674.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 22129AAA-928D-44A2-8F71-FCFC4F583B67.jpeg
    22129AAA-928D-44A2-8F71-FCFC4F583B67.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 3FABA0DF-DBB4-419A-AFC5-00596984E337.jpeg
    3FABA0DF-DBB4-419A-AFC5-00596984E337.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • BEA4CDEB-3AE3-4C39-9127-1718D2E5AB7A.jpeg
    BEA4CDEB-3AE3-4C39-9127-1718D2E5AB7A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
Exactly, I want as much gunk in my refugium so my socks last longer :) I do have a wave maker in there and a ton of shrimps and crabs.

Back