Refugium

petrasb

Market
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of adding a refugium to my reef system. I have a 175 bow front and a 30gal sump. I was thinking of using a large plastic bin used for watering farm animals. I can get a new 100gal (66x34x24 oval shaped) bin for $85. I would have a live sand layer about 3-4 in. deep.

I have only been up and running for about 2 months now. I have 200lbs of live sand in display tank with 100lbs of tonga live rock, and 100lbs of bleached base rock.

Has anyone used a set up like this? And is it worth adding a refugium?
I am lucky to be able to run everything in my basement leaving just my display tank in main living area upstairs, so I have lots of room.

Thanks

I'd say it's definitely worth it. You'd be adding to the total volume of the system which has the benefit of enhancing overall water stability. Also, keeping a fuge that large enables you to raise all kinds of macroalgae and microfauna. If you light it 24hrs or on a reverse light cycle, it will help stabilize pH swings due to photosynthesis in the display tank. With a remote DSB in the refugium you can also control nitrates. I'd say it's a win win situation.

I have a 100 tank you speak of that I use for a sump, works great, and will work well for a refuge also.

I have a glass 75 gallon tank I drilled and use for my Refugium and am glad I did. The podlife, and sea grasses grown in there are very interesting to watch, it's really a whole new world seeing them swim freely in the daytime with no predators to worry about. Just throwing it out there that with a plastic tank you will be missing some pretty interesting things.

I like the glass tank idea, but I am worried about drilling a glass tank. I looked up the diamond drill bits and they are expensive ($100). Is there an easy less expensive way to make a two 1" dia. holes in the side of a glass tank? Or I could get a really big tank, like a 150 and use it as a refug and sump all in one.

Yeah you can find bits for well under the hundred dollar mark, (may be a good investment for the club to by a few and rent them out) I believe I gave 38 for a 1 1/4 diameter bit.

If you think of it not as drilling a tank, but really grinding, its easier to understand how simple it really is. Just drill the sides not bottom and take it slow. I never had drilled glass before and so far I am 3 and 0 ~ no cracks

I plan on using a 20g tank as my refugium but I need to drill the side. Where did you get the bit to drill it and could you maybe post a pic of it? That way I'll know what I am looking for. Thanks!

I've also heard that a rotozip with a tile cutting bit works great. Anyone here tried that?

I've drilled dozens. Here is what you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=180055670505&rd=1&rd=1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=180055670505&rd=1&rd=1</a>

Basically it is a 1 3/4 bit. As you can see it is really a shank connected to a piece of pipe and the end is coated with diamond dust. Hence it grinds a hole in the glass.

The 1 3/4 bit is the size to support a 1" bulkhead (champion lighting or marine depot carry them). Even if you think that is more hole than you need. Stick with it, it is easier to stick with this one size than a whole bunch of different ones..

Drill the sides of the tank (3 inches or more from the edge). Set a water hose over the spot and it will take you about 3 or 4 minutes (up to 55, more if larger) to grind a hole through (DON'T push. let the weight of the drill do all the work). put a sponge or block under it when you get close (stops break out).

Dont try and drill a 10 gallon. the glass is too thin and it is a pain in the @$$.

Also don't tighten the blukheads too much. just enough to be water tight.

it is easy, but be patient and use common sense.

OH, never finish up with "Watch this!"

caio

johnny

Back