Removing Silicone Baffles

grimreefer

Market
Reaction score
I just tried this and thought I would share it. It may not be new to you but it is to me. The tank I got from Sal today had baffles in it that needed to come out. I could not get my hand in between the two baffles to use a razor blade because they are 1" apart, but this works much better and a lot faster anyway. So I took a piece of fishing line and put it in between the glass and the baffle. Grabbed hold of each end and moved it back and forth like a saw. Well I guess it was a saw, a fishing line saw. Cut right though the silicone. :yay:

grimreefer;144555 wrote: I just tried this and thought I would share it. It may not be new to you but it is to me. The tank I got from Sal today had baffles in it that needed to come out. I could not get my hand in between the two baffles to use a razor blade because they are 1" apart, but this works much better and a lot faster anyway. So I took a piece of fishing line and put it in between the glass and the baffle. Grabbed hold of each end and moved it back and forth like a saw. Well I guess it was a saw, a fishing line saw. Cut right though the silicone. :yay:

It's new to me... and great to know. Thanks!

oh you got that from sal that use to be mine it has a nasty leak man ....jk im just trying to get you worried

Dental Floss also works. The trick is not to put to much pressure on it or rub it on the edges of the baffles. It WILL break, fishing line and dental floss. Move the string fast with just a little bit a pressure and try to stay as close to the glass the baffles are siliconed to.

Tracy...you took them out ...cool now thats gonna be a really nice tank...good luck

Back