restaining old stand

skybird

Market
Reaction score
Im picking up a stand in a few days. What is the process for restaining it to a different color. Do i just sand the heck out of it till the old stain is gone? Is there a stripper that will do the job?

Then what is the process for restaining to make it stand up to the water and salt? Is it just as easy as a clear coat on top?

Skybird

What type of finish is on the stand now? Oil, lacquer, water base, urethane?
What color is it now and what color are you going to apply. What type of material is the stand made of, solid wood ,veneer core plywood or fiber core plywood?

BTW carpentry has nothing to do with refinishing.:)

carpenters will know more about this then i will, was what i was getting at.:D

I do not know the type of finish, is there a test i can do to tell... I havent actually got the stand in my posession yet, later this evening i will though.

skybird;723685 wrote: carpenters will know more about this then i will, was what i was getting at.:D

I do not know the type of finish, is there a test i can do to tell... I havent actually got the stand in my posession yet, later this evening i will though.

Ask the person and or company that made/finished it. Take some pics and post them. Too broad of a question to give you an accurate answer. get some more info and we will try to help you:up:

reeferman;723717 wrote: BTW carpentry has nothing to do with refinishing.:)
thats for sure!im a pretty good carpenter,refinishing however is a whole other ballgame!

I can relate to that.

found some stripper from walmart took it right off... paint it on nice and think, let it stand for 20 minuets, scrape it off with a plastic scraper.

Now i just need to find a decent wood degreaser. Any suggestions?

Im going to stain it with a red-mahogany, and put a shiny clear coat on it.

Back