Restoring problem rock for re-use?

shanepike

Market
Reaction score
I've got several pieces of really nice, really</em> large rock that I'd like to use, but the chance that it has something even worse than bryopsis is quite high -- too high for me to ever risk it.

Is there any way to restore problem rock to a base state so that it is pure and can be reintroduced to a tank? Or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Soak it in bleach. When you cure it, use a dechlorinater. That, or let it sit out in the sun for a few weeks.

Declanisadog;941600 wrote: Soak it in bleach. When you cure it, use a dechlorinater. That, or let it sit out in the sun for a few weeks.
Tried that :) Sitting outside in the August sun (and September and October) didn't even kill the bryopsis.

bigleman;941601 wrote: Too large to boil?
I have a large firepit, so I'm not sure anything that can fit in my tank is too large to boil :)

dball711;941602 wrote: What was worse than bryopsis ?
Possible chemical contamination. I don't know for sure.

bigleman;941601 wrote: Too large to boil?
That's a dangerous approach. Who knows what you would be steaming up and releasing into the air you breathe.

I have about 30 gallons of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide if you want to come get some. It's dangerous if not handled properly though...

There is a great write up on RC about cleaning rock and I did it with a 150 gallon rubbermaid full of rock and came out clean and like new after completed. It goes something like this place rock in a rubbermaid or bucket and fill with water soak in bleach with a pump/powerhead in it for circulation for at least 3 days I went for almost a week and added additional bleach/water as needed through the week. Then dump and rinse well with water (I actually soaked overnight a few times in the container with plain water). Then fill again with water and pour in muratic acid slowly until you have about a 10% solution with pump/power head circulating (I never made it to 10% in my cleaning). The water will turn brown and bubble a bunch but leave like this until bubbling slows. Then pour some baking soda in bucket to neutralize the acid and discard that water. Rinse rock really well and let dry and it should be good as new!

ShanePike;941603 wrote: Possible chemical contamination. I don't know for sure.

If you dont know its not worth it. Simple as that.

Anything living can be bleached or boiled, chemicals is a whole different story.

EnderG60;941610 wrote: If you dont know its not worth it. Simple as that.

Anything living can be bleached or boiled, chemicals is a whole different story.
That's exactly my concern. All of these methods sound good for scouring the rock down to just rock, but what about actually extracting </em>anything that the rock has absorbed? I wouldn't ever roll the dice on it unless I was confident there was a way to actually extract anything unwanted.

I believe this may be the RC thread referenced above:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914426">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914426</a>

Relevant quote:
"Boiling or sufficient bleaching will effectively kill everything. But leftover organics, phosphates and whatever else has accumulated on/in the rocks over time will remain and will be reintroduced to the tank. The acid bath dissolves the outer rock layer, hopefully taking away many of the undesirable elements that have accumulated."

It still sounds too risky to roll the dice on if my big rock truly is contaminated with something. Aside from that, though, it's a very interesting concept for removing basically anything else unwanted.

rjrgroup;941605 wrote: I have about 30 gallons of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide if you want to come get some. It's dangerous if not handled properly though...
Thanks you! I'll definitely keep this in mind. Still mulling over what I want to do.

I'm still not convinced it was that rock, I'll take it...lol
sometimes tanks crash and its hard to find the culprit...

Have you just thought about the simple solution just placing it in a container after a through scrub down filling it with salt water and running a skimmer on it if there is anything in the rock it will leech out it will take some time but you could do water changes to help speed it up if you need more info on what I'm saying just pm me your number and I will give you a call to better explain

Back