Restoring problem rock for re-use?

adamdaniel210;941663 wrote: Have you just thought about the simple solution just placing it in a container after a through scrub down filling it with salt water and running a skimmer on it if there is anything in the rock it will leech out it will take some time but you could do water changes to help speed it up if you need more info on what I'm saying just pm me your number and I will give you a call to better explain

heathlindner25;941664 wrote: leave it outside this summer, the Sun and rain should work.

But why do it your way when you can use dangerous chemicals?!!!:D

The OP still can to get rid of the algae problem but if there are chemicals already in the rock their could be a reaction between the ones in the rock and the ones used to clean the rock

I think we are making this way more complicated than it is...it's just rock. Yes it is porous but it's not that difficult to extract unwanted elements. Omg...it's got the gonisipaherpalitis!!!!

rjrgroup;941681 wrote: I think we are making this way more complicated than it is...it's just rock. Yes it is porous but it's not that difficult to extract unwanted elements. Omg...it's got the gonisipaherpalitis!!!!

the gift that keeps on giving. seriously, do the acid bath. i was about to do it to my old rock but came upon some new stuff instead. from the threads i've seen people giving acid bath to rocks that look clean, it's quite amazing. and when you're done just add baking soda to neutralize the acid. i'd choose this method over bleach any day.

This turned into a fun thread. Thanks, guys!

Not sure what I'm going to do -- other than not give it to Heath :)

Soak the rock in H2O2 3% for 5-10 min. Scrub off what you can in fresh water, then put in the tank. The H2O2 will kill the algae.

Personally I would not soak in bleach. While the Chlorine can be removed by air (or dechlorination products), LR, being Calcium based does like to hold on to a lot of stuff. Acids would be a no go for me too. The breakdown of the rock and the downsides to working with acids on an object like LR which is a alkaline base is just too high.

Xyzpdq0121;941754 wrote: Soak the rock in H2O2 3% for 5-10 min. Scrub off what you can in fresh water, then put in the tank. The H2O2 will kill the algae.

Personally I would not soak in bleach. While the Chlorine can be removed by air (or dechlorination products), LR, being Calcium based does like to hold on to a lot of stuff. Acids would be a no go for me too. The breakdown of the rock and the downsides to working with acids on an object like LR which is a alkaline base is just too high.

+1
I would soak longer and stronger but that's just me...;)

Ya well most people do not have access to 35% H2O2 and for good reason. I am not sure that I trust most people handling it. The stuff is pretty HIGHLY corrosive.

But then again.. a few drops in a cup of water daily cures cancer and AIDS now.. So what do I know!!!

:)

bigleman;941765 wrote: You won't have anything left. Calcium dissolves in HCl. If you are worried about toxic fumes from boiling, that's def a step in the wrong direction.

yes it will create fumes but is a very common method for getting rid of any unwanted organics that may be in the rock. You use a diluted solution of 1:10 (acid:RODI) and all you really need is a 20-30minute bath.

all my live rock was full of phosphouros i soaked mine in ro water with lanthamum chloride 5ml per 5 gallon bucket full .change the water weekly and add more lanthamum chloride until it tests 0ppm.took me about a month no no more bryopsis or algae on the rocks

IMO, Lanthanum Chloride is almost impossible to remove from surfaces especially by dilution alone.
&
FWIW, Phosphorus and Phosphate are not the same thing.

Lanthanum Chloride (LaCl3) might be one way to go. Not sure of a few things though:

A) While it COULD remove some of the phosphate in the rock this is a big COULD since that phosphate is already bound to the calcium in the rock. So you would be trying to replace the calcium with Lanthanum. Question is then what happens to the Lanthanum. I would not say it is impossible to remove but it may not be easy. This is where an acid might come in useful.

B) Not only that... Lanthanum Chloride (LaCl3) will also deplete Alkalinity and could have a problem with calcification. Not saying that this would be a problem for the rock but given what rock is made out of, I would make an educated guess that it would not be a good thing.

C) Not really sure what it will do to the algae already on the rock. True, you might be able to starve it off but doubtful. If Po4 is a concern in the tank then it still will be. If it is leeching from the rock then a surface bind with LaCl3 might not make a dent. But more than that, just not sure that it will kill the algae in the short term.

D) Most of the people who endorse LaCl3 are from the show "Tanked" and those guys are a bunch of monkey brains. I would hardly take their endorsement seriously. For that reason alone I would find another source. :)

Back