Return Line Placement...

I think</em> Melev's site (maybe totally different site) has a small paragraph on failures. Because of the design, it can only fail in an open position, but the percent between the split does not have to be equal (40/60, or 80/20 for example). The paragraph mentions a vinegar bath and a small amount of backflow through the outlet ports cleared it right up.
Tex, I am assuming you have the 3/4" SCWD, and not the 1". With a low return rate, you will likely want the smaller lines.

Chris and I are dangerous when we start talking! We just came up with a way to utilize the effect of the SCWD even further. All returns will have ball valves. The left return will be torqued down a little so that more flow will go to the lower return when the SCWD switches to the left side. This will be amplified (we think) by the fact that the lower return will have less head pressure and therefore more flow. Basically, there will now be random "wave flow" coming out of the lower return! :)

I'm also toying with the idea of using one of thos flow accelerator nozzles I've seen out there. The upper returns will easily serve their purpose of simply returning water to the tank from the sump. The lower return serves a "higher" purpose of keeping junk from settling behind the rocks. We shall see, and so shall you when I get the build thread going! Right now, I have to wait on glass... :boo:

Haha! Chris it still sent me an email with your first response! :) Can you give me a call when we have glass ordered and a time frame to begin this baby?

Back