return pump question

madcanary

Market
Reaction score
whats the best way to determine return pump size i get head high turn over etc but how do you figure out for reactors and manifolds etc?
I'm running a 120g with about 3ft head height running 3 Avast media reactors on a manifold. aprox flow rates for reactors are 200gph.

I use this calculator.

a>

so i just go by total volume? i don't have to take into account flow through reactors?

Madcanary;1031528 wrote: so i just go by total volume? i don't have to take into account flow through reactors?

There is a spot where you can estimate your pipe volume, reactors are dependent on the size you have. If I remember right there is also a spot to enter the amount of sand and rock as well. Rough estimate is really all that is needed. A few gallons here and there won't effect dosing ect much In the grand scheme of things. Imho

Ok thanks I'll get it figured up. Finding a pump is a pita. Nothing is ever simple. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me I would go with the Jaebo dct 15000. I believe it has 10 power settings so you can fine tune your flow.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking a reef octopus Diablo series I've not looked into jeabo. Thanks I'll look into them.

Madcanary;1031550 wrote: Thanks for the advice. I was looking a reef octopus Diablo series I've not looked into jeabo. Thanks I'll look into them.

Your welcome. I have the DC 12000 and will be adding a DCT 12000 to my system. I have no complaints about it at all. Including price.

Brett, what are you going to do with all that extra flow? I sense a tank upgrade after the sump room project of yours.

JBDreefs;1031563 wrote: Brett, what are you going to do with all that extra flow? I sense a tank upgrade after the sump room project of yours.

Nah just running one to recirculate the downstairs and a single upstairs. I promised the wife I wouldn't upgrade the DT. Lol.

Madcanary;1031528 wrote: so i just go by total volume? i don't have to take into account flow through reactors?

<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Calibri">All centrifugal pumps operate on a curve. The more head you have (pressure) the less flow you get. The pump supplier should provide their pump curve. To pick your pump decide on a flowrate based on turnover/water volume then calculate your system head. </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Calibri">System head = vertical head + piping losses</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Calibri">For piping losses thru 1” sch40 PVC @ 1000 Gal/hr here are some rough numbers</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Calibri">100 ft of pipe = 15 ft loss</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Calibri">90 elbow = 1/3 ft</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Calibri">For the reactor I’d assume a loss of 1 – 2 ft.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Calibri">-Nick</span></span>

Back