Return pump????

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
What is the best low power, low heat, long lasting submersible return pumps on the market?

A DC pumps sounds like it matches your needs. Fairly new though....so the jury is still out on long lasting

Ringo®;950459 wrote: A DC pumps sounds like it matches your needs. Fairly new though....so the jury is still out on long lasting

Yea, I figure that would be it, I was told that my danner mag pumps were power suckers, hard start, noisy and a lot of heat transfer, but they have been around for awhile which make them out dated technology.

Looking for the best alternate.

elFloyd;950490 wrote: +1

But you pay the price for the best.

Yes you sure do, looked it up, guess they charge by the gph.....lol.
Going to have sell a few things to get one. :D

Bubble blaster (if I were to chose submerged pump)
They have the same shape on the impeller as the external pump like iwaki or blueline, they drawn little power, however I haven't had check feedback on long time users.

DC would be my first choice followed by Quiet Ones. Mine never failed, produced little extra heat and were quieter than anything I had used previously.

DawgFace;950469 wrote: Red Dragon made by Royal Exclusiv hands down.

dang man go STRAIT for the wallet haha

but he DID ask for the best haha

b

SnowManSnow;950509 wrote: dang man go STRAIT for the wallet haha

but he DID ask for the best haha

b

I'm all for the good stuff, I can send a little, more often or a little more, less often.
I'm in this for the long haul, so quality means a lot to me.

So we got it down to DC pumps, now I just have to narrow my brands.
Reef octopus diablo, jebao, red dragon......????
Any other brand option to look into?

MYREEFCLUB0070;950528 wrote: So we got it down to DC pumps, now I just have to narrow my brands.

Waveline and Speedwave but my understanding is they're the exact same as the Jebao's.

Acandoit;950501 wrote: -1 Just my experience, mind you, but a somewhat recent purchase of a Vertex skimmer with a red dragon pump died on me a couple months into the purchase. Upon doing some research on other reef forums, I was not alone. The pump is super quiet and works very well other than the dying part.....not sure what an expected lifespan of a submersed pump should be?

Keep in kind it would be virtually impossible for any company to operate for any length of time with zero issues, problems or complaints.

Having said that Royal Exclusiv is almost exclusively accepted as the best of the best... Price excluded, as was in the OP's initial question.

MYREEFCLUB0070;950528 wrote: So we got it down to DC pumps, now I just have to narrow my brands.

With the DC pumps your are completely throwing out one of your main seller, long haul. None of them have been around long enough for an accurate picture on that front. If your firm on them I'd only consider Octo or red dragon due to warranty.

Full disclosure, I am running a Waveline and am very pleased. I went with this brand due to a good deal too hard to pass up. Paying full price I probably would not have went DC, if I did Reef Octopus would have been my choice.

I am about to replace my Reeflo Dart with an external Waveline DC-12000. The general view is the Waveline, Speedwave, and Jebao may come from the same manufacturer in China. I've also heard that the Waveline upgrades first and the others are of a lesser generation. (i.e. - Waveline is Gen 2, the others are Gen 1).

Of the three (Waveline, Speedwave, and Jebao), only the Waveline Gen 2 can be used externally without modification.

Acandoit;950539 said:
RE being almost exclusively accepted as the best of the best, I would say conventional wisdom/facts are particulary dangerous in our hobby.

Cheers![/
While I agree with that statement given anecdotal "facts" like calcium reactors are the best way to replenish calcium .... However with equipment, what do you and how do you evaluate a product? My point being here, quality parts, quality company with a stellar reputation and warranty plus less power consumption than any competitor makes the pump what? Myth?

joseayes;950494 wrote: Bubble blaster (if I were to chose submerged pump)
They have the same shape on the impeller as the external pump like iwaki or blueline, they drawn little power, however I haven't had check feedback on long time users.

Sorry, I meant to say the reef octopus water blaster, no bubble-blaster.

I myself gonna have external pumps at this time.

Back