Rinsing frozen foods

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
I was out of town for almost all of December and my tank was neglected. Now I'm fighting algae like crazy. But I think the root of my problem is the food I'm feeding them. I feed frozen mysis, cyclopes and baby brine. I don't rinse the food before feeding. I simply thaw it in a solo cup with the tank water and poor in slowly. But when I poor it in, the food water is cloudy with what is obviously not food.

So, what is the simplest way to rinse the food? Rinse it and re freeze it? How do you clean your fishs' food?

I'm going to up the phosgaurd to the recommended amount. I added it around early December. I also have bumped up water changes. The system is around 250g and I change about 50g at a time about 3 times every 2 weeks. I was doing one a week until the algae outbreak. I also suck up as much of the algae off the sand during water changes. But the algae has been relentless and will be back within a day or two. I skim wet and replace filter socks each water change. I don't have a UV.

HELP!! Lol

Put your frozen food in a fish net. Let it soak in water. When thawed, swirl net around in tank. Wash out net for next time. Fin.

Sounds bigger than a not rinsing the food problem.

What type of algae are you fighting? How much do you feed? What's you stocklist? Lighting period? What type of filtration? Do you use ro water? City or well?

First never refreeze any food. second I never rinse mine because my corals, gorgonians and anemones can be fed by the stuff that gets rises off, maybe in a fish only set up it makes sense but not a reef with corals...my 2 cents. Per Amy's comments, might be something else going on or maybe just feeding too much.

dball711;1068923 wrote: First never refreeze any food. second I never rinse mine because my corals, gorgonians and anemones can be fed by the stuff that gets rises off, maybe in a fish only set up it makes sense but not a reef with corals...my 2 cents. Per Amy's comments, might be something else going on or maybe just feeding too much.

+1
I don't rinse either

I thaw and rinse my frozen and then soak it in vitamin/garlic guard and feed it until depleted. Then repeat on the next batch

I never rinse either. I concur that it's likely another issue.

Jenn

You said you do 50g water changes 3x every 2 weeks... Does that mean you do 3 50g water changes right in a row in the same day?

That's a big waste of salt. You'd be better off either doing a single larger water change or spreading them out over a few days.

I'm going to turn down the lighting and feed less. Im doing 50g water changes about every 4-5 days

Back