RIP My skimmer :(

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Its a sad day. I haven't completely taken it apart yet, and I will, but it appears my beloved skimmer has passed on to the great reef in the sky.
Which, puts me in a crunch. Some of you will understand this, others will not. I don't mean to seem elitist or crazy, but here goes.

For the last 13 years I've only used Bubble King skimmers. They are quite awesome. To be honest other skimmers feel like toys (no offense to anyone). I've used everything from the gen 1 octo skimmers to aqua c, skims, and a 2 or 3 others while in transitional periods, and they all left me saying ... meh (I still remember how terrible that octo150 was).

THAT said.. it has been a while since I have had to do a skimmer purchase and I realize a lot can change in this hobby, so I'm open to suggestions. My question is... Is there anything out there that will get me close to a BK without dropping a grand or more? The footprint has to be within 10x11", and I'm not interested in external skimmers right now. My total volume is around 100g, so nothing crazy big.

So ... what are my high end skimmer options? or... do I just need to cry once buy once and find another BK mini?

Really appreciate your insight.
B.

zero BK experience for me - but I've run through a few skimmers.

Life Reef & BashSea have worked best for me and I have both running tanks right now.

Wonderful thing about BashSea - available on Amazon and can get it to you pretty fast

zero BK experience for me - but I've run through a few skimmers.

Life Reef & BashSea have worked best for me and I have both running tanks right now.

Wonderful thing about BashSea - available on Amazon and can get it to you pretty fast
I appreciate the input :) thats a new brand that I'm not sure existed the last time I was in the market maybe.

Ya BK is your top of the line skimmer. I know BRS sells them now so if you are going to spend that kind of money might as well be there and get the points.

Yeah... I'm not much of help either since the one I use (Vertex Alpha 200) is now out of business. Same pumps. I have to say, their pumps are just amazing and how quiet they are. I don't think I would go back to anything else. I say just get the BK.

I'm not familiar with the bk skimmers either, do they not make replacement pumps for the one you have?

If you do t mind me asking. What makes It unusable? Is there no way to repair it?

Its a sad day. I haven't completely taken it apart yet, and I will, but it appears my beloved skimmer has passed on to the great reef in the sky.
Which, puts me in a crunch. Some of you will understand this, others will not. I don't mean to seem elitist or crazy, but here goes.

For the last 13 years I've only used Bubble King skimmers. They are quite awesome. To be honest other skimmers feel like toys (no offense to anyone). I've used everything from the gen 1 octo skimmers to aqua c, skims, and a 2 or 3 others while in transitional periods, and they all left me saying ... meh (I still remember how terrible that octo150 was).

THAT said.. it has been a while since I have had to do a skimmer purchase and I realize a lot can change in this hobby, so I'm open to suggestions. My question is... Is there anything out there that will get me close to a BK without dropping a grand or more? The footprint has to be within 10x11", and I'm not interested in external skimmers right now. My total volume is around 100g, so nothing crazy big.

So ... what are my high end skimmer options? or... do I just need to cry once buy once and find another BK mini?

Really appreciate your insight.
B.
I'm not familiar with the bk skimmers either, do they not make replacement pumps for the one you have?
I was going to say the same thing David.

I know @ricky5415 has changed out pumps on his. Also @scottw might have some info on what pumps you can use.

BRS does carry replacement pumps for them. Not sure the age of yours. Might be worth a shot at looking at it.

The issue is that it’s a first gen bubble king 200 mini.
And that’s one reason Bk is so great imo that’s an OLd skimmer that is JUST NOW having issues!

The pumps I’m seeing are nearly a grand alone ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure it’s priced that way to encourage skimmer purchases instead of just replacing something. Now some of the larger ones... may be more cost effective to replace the pump in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the pump try to start at all or is it dead?

I get nada.
Still at work, but I’ll look at it closer soon.

From what I read it there's any life to the pump it may need new bearings and possibly an impeller. Repairing will still be costly but not as bad as a new pump.
Some people have replaced the pump with a RO Bubble Blaster or a Tunze Hydrofoamer.

That is why I went with a Lifereef. Jeff builds a good product and you can use baby pump as long as it is rated properly- no particular brand needed.
I got one of the last MTC MVX skimmers before MTC closed its doors. If it weren't for that I'd have a Lifereef. Not everyone has the space for those type skimmers and all the people I've met that's had a Bubble King has sworn by them.

In this case Lifereef's SVS2-24 is roughly the same footprint and height. It's also half the cost of the Royal Exclusive pump alone. If the pump can't be fixed or an alternative found that skimmer would be a good option.

Back