RIP Wrasse Disturbing Pics Beware

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
Ok i took these pics to try and get to the root of the problem...I know it maybe disturbing but I need to know...I have 75rr with about a 3inch sand bed (pacific black reef) 90lbs lr, tank has been up and running since aug 8 (and no this is by no means my first tank) oct resirc skimmer, feed my own mixture of mysis/phyto/zooplex/and flakes mixed with kent marines garlic, 9w uv, 1.023 salinity and every thing else tested ok water temp a constant 76-77...if you notice in the pics his lips are red like blood color no other discoloration, was unable to stay upright...i don't have a clue what happend to him so please feel free to chime in

chris

Ok it has been awhile since i have posted pics here and now it has changed how do you do it now?

<a href="
geckojunkie
>http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/geckojunkie/?action=view&current=100_2204.jpg</a>" target

jeep9783;247368 wrote: &lt;a href=&quot;
geckojunkie
>http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/geckojunkie/?action=view&current=100_2204.jpg</a>" target
hmmm intresting..have no idea what the problem could have been..sorry for your loss

I would assume the red in the mouth is from bludgeoning himself on the bottom of the aquarium or some other hard spot. Either that or its indicative of an infection although I think the former is more likely. That's not to say he didn't have an infection as that's a pretty common way for these guys to go...

So, its just a guess but I think he had an internal infection and at some point beat his face into something which is why you see the injury to the mouth. Sorry for your loss, they are stunning fish. One of my favorite wrasses of all time. Prolly better left in the ocean though as their mortality rates seem to be fairly high.

So i don't have anything to worry about my other wrasse's? Well I mean I don't need to be looking at my tank for the source of the problem do I?

I don't know much about your tank or other wrasses but my initial reaction is that you're doing just fine. It's very normal for these guys to croak upon introduction. I sadly learned this from experience with them... I still have one but I got him from the diver's den on live aquaria which was twice as much as everywhere else but those fish are typically bullet proof.

FutureInterest;247385 wrote: I still have one but I got him from the diver's den on live aquaria which was twice as much as everywhere else but those fish are typically bullet proof.

100% agreement!

Looks like a radiant wrasse which have a very high mortality rate. They just don't seem to do well for most people. I've tried a couple without success.

They don't do well with higher temps either. Found that out after having one for over a year and came home to my heater stuck on. Heck of a way to get xenia out of your tank too.

I rarely lose an intro'd fish but I have lost 3 radiants in the past. I actually gave up on em but the wife ordered me this one from the diver's den. She's awesome :).

We once did a group buy of sorts on them from LA when they had a special and of the 8 we got all 8 died. Oddly, the common canary wrasse/yellow coris wrasse is a very close relative to the radiant and just looks like a different color morph but has much better survivability rates.

FutureInterest;247418 wrote: I rarely lose an intro'd fish but I have lost 3 radiants in the past. I actually gave up on em but the wife ordered me this one from the diver's den. She's awesome :).

We once did a group buy of sorts on them from LA when they had a special and of the 8 we got all 8 died. Oddly, the common canary wrasse/yellow coris wrasse is a very close relative to the radiant and just looks like a different color morph but has much better survivability rates.

the radiants are from Africa. Where are the yellow's from? Maybe this has something to do with it?

The canary are from YOUR ocean. :)

I think you're implying that radiant mortality may be due to collection techniques or shipping issues? That's definitely a possibility!

Forgot to mention mine came from liveaquaria too. Never had a problem with them.

FutureInterest;247446 wrote: The canary are from YOUR ocean. :)

I think you're implying that radiant mortality may be due to collection techniques or shipping issues? That's definitely a possibility!

I know where the canary are from...was making a joking, but serious point :D

Yes, I think there may be some issue dealing with collection, storage or shipping from Africa.

Back