RO/DI filter replacement

civics14

Market
Reaction score
So, it's been about 1.5 years since I been using the current filters, never changed it, inline TDS meter is showing it's still producing 0 TDS in and 0 TDS out. Confirmed 0 TDS out with my handheld TDS as well. Should I replace the filters, carbon, & DI resin anyways? Any ill effect of it being this old?

I'm not sure if its correct. After 3 yrs or so , I change them even if they read 0

I'm on my 2nd set of filters. They are over 2yrs, and still at 0.

Personally, I would be safe and just replace them all. I think you would be better off in the long run.

I see no need to waste money it they're all testing 0. Even a few TDS isn't going to be detrimental for a short period of time. I went for several months where my TDS was reading around 5-10 before I managed the funds to get new filters.

Of course, 0 TDS in is suspect. I usually average around 30 in.

If you dont make that much water no point in changing the membrane. I would change the carbon and sediment filters though, but they are cheap. Maybe back flush it for the hell of it too just to keep it working good.

Move your TDS meter to before any filters and then after all filters. That way you know if your TDS meter is even functioning

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

SnowManSnow;1080202 wrote: Move your TDS meter to before any filters and then after all filters. That way you know if your TDS meter is even functioning

+1

It's possible, although not likely, your RO membrane is removing all impurities before it goes to your DI resin.

I run my TDS meter on the line into the RODI and the output line.

PM me for replacement cartridges :)

I always checked TDS on unfiltered water, and after all filters.

Even if you're still getting 0 out, it's best to change the sediment and carbon at least once a year - keeping them clean will prolong membrane life, and you do not want chlorine getting to the membrane. After a time, that carbon block will not be able to absorb any more chlorine and that will eventually kill the membrane.

Sediment and carbon filters are CHEAP - no reason not to change them regularly. And if you have clear housings on your unit, you should be able to see if that sediment filter is getting gnarly.

Jenn

Back