RO/DI masters help!

based on what you said anti...my rodi came with only 1 mic and 5 mic sed filter, no C block. ha..c block. So how should i rearrange now that i have the 5 mic CB?

Ryan, sediment filters are cheap. Toss the 5 micron you have in the 2nd filter and throw the cb in there.
Then when you by more for the next go around get a good 1 micron for both.

What's the tds of your water out of the tap?

Adam

I'm late to the game here...

That unit MIGHT have originally come with a capillary flow restrictor, which would have been inserted inside the waste line where it connects to the RO Membrane housing. If you are still having issues, you may want to check that. Sometimes people accidentally discard them when they are messing with it. You don't want 2 flow restrictors on there - the capilary AND the inline (Flow 800.)

This is what a capillary restrictor looks like: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/sZYAAOSw1XdUXaAF/$_58.JPG" alt="" />

It's tiny and fits inside the end of the tube where it inserts into the membrane housing.

If you ran chlorinated water through the unit without a carbon filter before the membrane, you've probably toasted your membrane.

MOST RO units have a sediment cartridge (5 micron is standard, although 1 is OK too it just clogs faster). BTW - I can get them for you for less than half of what BRS charges... with local pickup ;)

Carbon cartridge next, usually 10 micron is fine.

Then the membrane, and then finally the DI.

The optimal conditions are 65 PSI across the membrane and 77 degrees Farenheit for the water (do NOT put warm/hot water through the unit!!!) - any variances from that will affect performance.

Cold water = super slow output. The molecules are close together and don't want to go through the membrane. Ambiently warmer water, the molecules are farther apart and pass through more easily.

You would have lost a ton of pressure in a long garden hose and cold outdoor water makes for poor production.

Make sure it's plumbed up correctly, make sure your flow restrictor is present and appropriate and if you ran chlorinated water through the membrane you may need to replace it - I'm your go-to on those too - PM me for details :)

Jenn

^^^um..wow. lol.

added the flow restrictor and production turned to be great. about 3-1 waste:rodi. after adding the carbon block (5 micron) I'm down to 0 in and 0 out on tds. from now on i will pm you directly jenn! thanks everyone for all of your advice and guidance! btw...i don't capitalize when i should because dropped my mac and my shift button works sometimes and not other times...so i just don't even hit it anymore, not to mention somehow autocorrect was added during the fracas.

How can you be at 0 in and out on TDS?

I'll guarantee you that your unfiltered water has TDS. When I last checked, here in Canton, mine was between 38-42. RO should remove 85% or better, and DI should take care of the rest.

Jenn

I have the TDS set on "in" after RO before DI. Before the carbon block was added I was still reading 4-5 at that stage, hence 0 to 0 now. My TDS reading was about the same as yours when I ran it before the RO/DI. Just playing around with what stage I read it and what differences I could note by switching blocks.

Back