Ro/di resin

willie1983

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys I was looking at my coralife 50 gad ro unit and I noticed the ro resin canister not full and I was wondering is it time for me to refill the resin. I've had this unit for a year or so making 70 + gallons a month and no tds meter
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
994913=57213-1415233038681.jpg
>
994913=57213-1415233038681.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1415233038681.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
994913=57214-1415233093728.jpg
>
994913=57214-1415233093728.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1415233093728.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
994913=57215-1415233113123.jpg
>
994913=57215-1415233113123.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1415233113123.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I wouldn't worry about filling, looks like all the filters need changing, including di.

MYREEFCLUB0070;994916 wrote: I wouldn't worry about filling, looks like all the filters need changing, including di.

Ok thanks I'll give one of our sponsors a buzz

When you replace the di, you wan to fill and pack it tight all the way fill.
Don't forget the membrane, I,would go ahead and change that too.

MYREEFCLUB0070;994923 wrote: When you replace the di, you wan to fill and pack it tight all the way fill.
Don't forget the membrane, I,would go ahead and change that too.

Ok but I thought the membrane last a few years btw I have fowler tanks

All depends on several factors but it's just best to test to see what tds is, if you don't want to change it out yet.
I just change all when I'm changing.

MYREEFCLUB0070;994942 wrote: All depends on several factors but it's just best to test to see what tds is, if you don't want to change it out yet.

Ok I'll have my water checked first

You can get a handheld tds meter very reasonably from a lot of lfs or online venders. Or you can get one of the inline ones fairly cheaply also. Heck, if you buy a zero water filter pitcher (like a brita) a lot of their products come with a tds meter to show you when to change your filter.

BlueSpot;995263 wrote: You can get a handheld tds meter very reasonability from a lot of lfs or online venders. Or you can get one of the inline ones fairly cheaply also. Heck, if you buy a zero water filter pitcher (like a brita) a lot of their products come with a tds meter to show you when to change your filter.

Ok thanks ordered one off eBay yesterday im kinda curious to see what's the readings thanks

[QE=Barrettrhoades;995356]When DI resin gets old, it can actually increase the TDS of product water.. Test both pre and post DI to see if your membrane is ok. My filter regime is prefilter every 2-3 months, Carbon prefilter every 4-6 months and DI based on TDS. Bulk reef has a dual inline TDS meter so you can tell what the RO membrane is doing as well as the DI. Best $30 I have spent on my RO[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks

MYREEFCLUB0070;994942 wrote: All depends on several factors but it's just best to test to see what tds is, if you don't want to change it out yet.

My hand held tds meter arrived today
My tap water reads.50
My ro water reads .18
So im guessing yes my filters need to be replaced?

When set off to buy your membrane you can buy one with a higher gpd rating and fill up faster.

MYREEFCLUB0070;995714 wrote: When set off to buy your membrane you can buy one with a higher gpd rating and fill up faster.

Would everything match correctly

joseayes;995738 wrote: Flow restrictor in your RO--DI has to match the gallons rate on your membrane

Now it's sounding tricky ill stick fwith the same size I already have, im really debating on weather to replace my membrane ive only had the unit for a year or so

Check some of the BRS instructional videos please they'll steer you clear and in the right direction, sorry I can'type to much now but those are the best you'll find out there. Don't know if it's allowed to mention those here.
Look out for block carbon and resin. Membranes have different rejection rate that should match the flow restrictor otherwise you'll be sending many wasted gallons to the drain or your product water TDS will vary constantly. One thing I was told before long ago, to place the membrane in the freezer while you work in your unit, this might be preventing bacteria build up if it's just set aside. Don't forget to wash every canister you'll be replacing the filter from, use Clorox to disinfect and wash the membrane canister as well, once you plug everything back make sure you run as many gallons necessary through the first 3 stages to send clear water to the membrane or you'll be sending small particles of carbon (in case you replace the second stage carbon)

Good luck!

WILLIE1983;995743 wrote: Now it's sounding tricky ill stick fwith the same size I already have, im really debating on weather to replace my membrane ive only had the unit for a year or so

Hold off on the membrane IMO. I've had mine for 3.5 years and still get 0 TDS after changing filters and DI resin. At least replace the filters first and see what that gets you. You can also test right after the membrane and see what it's putting out TDS wise.

Replacing the flow restrict or isn't a big deal. Do some research on which membrane though. Some have really high rejection rates which means you're using a bunch more water. There are some good membranes out there that deliver good performance with reasonable rejection rates. More $ up front but less over time.

I went with BRS as I had a tough time locating one at a sponsor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back