Ro/di tds

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
I am kind of new to reefing (since feb) and haven't gotten my filter yet but I have been using RO/DI water. Well, I am about to set up my frag tank and I'm expecting it to need frequent water changes due to the setup. I do have some questions though
If I buy a cheaper RO/DI, I realize that is not the best road to take, but if I test the water after it is filtered with a TDS meter, that will tell me if the water is good, and when the filter cartridges are needing to be replaced, correct? What is an acceptable reading for RO/DI water? I assume it is PPM. Is there anything about tap water filtered through RO/DI that the TDS meter will not tell me?

secondly, is there any reason that this model is throwing my $ away, is there a better alternative in a similar price range, basically will this hold me over until I can invest in a better filter?

http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=270">http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=270</a>

Thanks!

Something about that unit only being $65 just isn't right. Your RODI unit/water is one of the most important factors in your tank and you should def not go cheap and cut corners on this one. The units last a very long time, I've been using mine for about 9 1/2 years. http://www.marinedepot.com/Captive_Purity_Deluxe_RO_DI_Filter_System_Clear_Canisters_24_to_40_Gallons_Per_Day_RO_DI_Water_Filter_Systems-Captive_Purity-CP1331-FIRORDFT-vi.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/Captive_Purity_Deluxe_RO_DI_Filter_System_Clear_Canisters_24_to_40_Gallons_Per_Day_RO_DI_Water_Filter_Systems-Captive_Purity-CP1331-FIRORDFT-vi.html</a>
I'd recommend that unit to help save money and still have a quaility RODI unit. The membrane needs to be replaced typically every 2-3 years, the micron and carbon filter every 4-8 months, and the DI cartidge whenever the color changing dye reaches 1-3 inches from the top. And yes a TDS meter will help determine when to replace the filters and membrane, but make sure the container your testing the water in isn't affecting the TDS results. I've noticed the container can play a large role in what your TDS reads, also allow the unit to run 15-30 minutes each time before you test the TDS.

But I def wouldn't buy that unit just because it doesn't seem right at that price, but I may be wrong we'll see what others say.

Used ones can go pretty cheap as well, I'd check for them as well and just replace the membrane and filters.

Yes I was going to say it sounds too good to be true as well, our sponsor Air Water and Ice makes a great affordable unit, I just started using mine yesterday and am very impressed with the quality

First, acceptable level would be 0 ppm. :)

Spend $10 more and get the 150 gal a day unit. I used it for almost a year making about 30 gal a week and it work fine. I would count on it forever and in the long run it is cheaper to buy a good one now and not buy twice. But if that isn't an option that unit will do fine for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the 150 gpd unit. Now I just need a handheld tds meter. At the price of the replacement filters I don't see how this could be a bad deal if it works. The whole unit is barely more than replacement filter costs

Thanks dude just that much closer to setting up my frag tank.

I don't know the peoples concern about the standard equipment of a single ro-di system. By standard I meant bracket, canisters, clear or white, and water restrictor, after this and just after this you really can start separating from filter quality, Wich is where it really matters the quality of ANY SYSTEM, from there you can choose Micron of your choice, carbon filter of your choice and the membrane and restrictor of your choice. I have found local bad quality membrane exaggerately expensive, and I have found really great rated quality and at AFFORDABLE PRICE over in the internet. Last and really important too will be DI resin, and again, varying in price and quality, after this been said, the test of components could be extra add it for you and no necessary to have it paid in the new unit, due to this paying for the overpriced unit, make it custom, save a lot, I did, check in my thread post and take your own decision. BTW, this doesn't meant I have a bad quality RO, I have a great quality filters on it.
Pleasure someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Now looking at TDS meters. I'm not against spending $10 more dollars for one of the other models on amazon, but the http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366847349&sr=8-4&keywords=handheld+tds">$15 one</a> has the most positive reviews.

any advice before I purchase?

I love my inline. Ur welcome to come by and look at it. Not sure what brand or type. Marine designs wired it in for me awhile ago

I have a Coralife RO unit I got from a member here and I added a BRS DI unit. I also have the BRS dual in-line TDS meter and I love it. I have the IN part of unit before my DI and the OUT is after my DI unit. IN reads about 3-6 and out has always been 0. I also just changed the filters out last week and haven't checked the readings yet. I think that the dual in-line was the best one I could have bought.

http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-DM-1-In-Line-Accuracy/dp/B001EHAZGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366850701&sr=8-1&keywords=in+line+tds">like this one?</a>

The same one is listed in other departments for more

only thing is.. how do you know an inline is reading right? how do you calibrate them?

wouldnt you just use "1000 ppm solution" to calibrate a handheld to what should be 1000 ppm

JDavid;861392 wrote: http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-DM-1-In-Line-Accuracy/dp/B001EHAZGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366850701&sr=8-1&keywords=in+line+tds">like this one?</a>

only thing is.. how do you know an inline is reading right? how do you calibrate them?

wouldnt you just use "1000 ppm solution" to calibrate a handheld to what should be 1000 ppm[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the calibration but that is the same meter that I have. I think BRS just slaps their logo on it.

or gets the same manufacturer to do it. same thing

somebody else chime in! (thanks matt)

yup "http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-inline-tds-meter-dm-1-hm-digital.html">BRS recommended</a>" that makes me feel better about it

I like watching their youtube videos.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I bought a used RODI system for $75, put new filters sediment and carbon filters in it and the TDS is at 14 and reaches 34 sometimes (which is what it is coming into the unit). So now I have to buy a membrane and DI resin, after all the cost, it will prob be around the price of a new one. Moral of the story is pay a little more for a good system now so you don't have to pay waste money later on like I did.

tngyen813;861506 wrote: Sorry to hijack your thread, but I bought a used RODI system for $75, put new filters sediment and carbon filters in it and the TDS is at 14 and reaches 34 sometimes (which is what it is coming into the unit). So now I have to buy a membrane and DI resin, after all the cost, it will prob be around the price of a new one. Moral of the story is pay a little more for a good system now so you don't have to pay waste money later on like I did.

Buying a used unit, did you put everything in a good wash before installing any filters in the unit? Then did you install new Di resin in a used membrane? Did you knew for how long that membrane, if you had it when you got the used unit, was left alone with out water running through it? Just asking

Btw welcome to ARC! ! :)

Only reason I showed concern is that I didn't know NEW units came so cheap at $65, but if it works and works well then nice grab! Let us know how it performs so I know for future references as my unit is coming on 10 years and it might be time I get the fancy ones with flushing and guages and what not. I hope it performs well!

JDavid;861392 wrote: http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-DM-1-In-Line-Accuracy/dp/B001EHAZGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366850701&sr=8-1&keywords=in+line+tds">like this one?</a>

wouldnt you just use "1000 ppm solution" to calibrate a handheld to what should be 1000 ppm[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to calibrate a unit at 1000 PPM; when your end result must be 0 ppm on your RO/DI water? I would go for a lower level calibration solution that would be closer to zero than using 1000 ppm. That is; if you are concerned with accuracy.

I would still have a setup where I could easily get access to check the water randomly, I totally wouldn't rely on electronic gadgets because eventually the gadgets will fail and then it maybe too late to disassembly the water setup to check it manually. [Just my 2 1/2 cents].

Wannabee

Back