Rock Flower Anemoe spawning in my reef tank

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
My Rock Flower Anemone spawned a week ago, it lasted for over 30 minutes.
I've got video but haven't got it uploaded yet.

There has been an extreme amount of different, new looking brown/ black (poop looking) things on the sand bed near the area. At first I didn't think it was babies but after some reasearch, it is!
I'm having babies and lots of them :)

I couldn't get photo bucket to load and for some reason and when uploaded from my photo library the pictures are always upside down, but you get the picture. No pun intended :)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1070070=66140-image.jpg
>
1070070=66140-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Will try to upload vid and add a link tomorrow, it's very cool!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1070071=66141-image.jpg
>
1070071=66141-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Omg I'm so happy for you , I've kept these stinkers for years and never had any action, I wish you best of luck with them baby's , I hope you get a tone of anemones.
Now I have hope mine will one day cooperate

wow, your doing something right over there with that tank, good jod and hope you get a tank full of those suckers.

It was so incredible to watch and lasted way over 30 minutes.
Trying to not disturb the area where the babies are is the problem!

Make sure you target feed that general area with a small-particle food - reef roids, the wash from LRS/Rod's or something like that.

Unless they've been brooded in the parent anemone to about 1/6 - 1/4" size they might not be able to capture & eat larger food and will simply waste away over the next few weeks.

BulkRate;1070186 wrote: Make sure you target feed that general area with a small-particle food - reef roids, the wash from LRS/Rod's or something like that.

Unless they've been brooded in the parent anemone to about 1/6 - 1/4" size they might not be able to capture & eat larger food and will simply waste away over the next few weeks.

Have done my best to feed the area twice a day. It looks like a few are settled on a small rock next to the parent. During the spawning (15 minutes later or so) I gently added a few pieces of rubble hoping to help keep them close.
Thanks

Terry, do you target feed them? I do about 2 times a week.

I'd feed 'em a bit more often than that... like every other day or even daily for the first couple of weeks.

While it's true that anemones can easily eat too much and have complications from the excess spoiling in their gut, IME rock flowers like to be fed small meals just about every day. I mean really, really small - a couple pellets/tiny squirt of decap. brine shrimp eggs/puff of cyclopeeze etc.

All of mine were a little pale & prone to shrinking tentacles on a once every 2-3 day feeding regimen but have filled out nicely in the past couple months with more frequent small feedings. The baby 'nems probably don't even have the reserves that an adult RFA does.

Debbie,

I hate to be the one to tell you, you are just going to stop playing all that Barry White. Look what happened with the sun corals.

;-)

Sewer Urchin;1070353 wrote: Debbie,

I hate to be the one to tell you, you are just going to stop playing all that Barry White. Look what happened with the sun corals.

;-)

Lol, well it could be my sweet talk too!

Jeremy

I'm feeding twice a day :) but went to smaller foods as you mentioned in first post.
Maybe overkill but fingers crossed :)
Thanks

BulkRate;1070428 wrote: Sounds good. Post pics of the nursery in the next few days?

Will do but from what I can see many are still in the sand bed, some attached to near by rock and really really tiny!!

Do you think the sanded guys will make it?
If so, all above poster are welcome to pick up babies when big enough :)

Back