Rock Supports?

Ya it's a dead spot issue. If you've ever taken a tank apart where the rock meets the sand is pretty funky and nasty. Detritus gets trapped there and breaks down etc. It also impedes flow across the sandbed for O2 exchange.

I used PVC support in mine.

Here's a link to that post. Several others I know have done it but I agree unless it's a big tank there is not a reason to make a huge effort out of it.

showthread.php

I used standard light diffuser grill for a rack with 1/2 " PVC pipe fittings. Although I found black grill, I knew nothing about dye. The coralline algae will in time make all of that colour issue a moot point. What is not obvious is my entire substrate sits below the same diffuser grill about 1" off the bottom. Years ago the hobby used reverse flow undergravel filters and my setup mimics that. The rocks are all supported, the photo just shows the raised platform that allowed me to use less rock to create the terrain.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
5110=271-Reef12.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
5110=271-Reef12.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Reef12.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
5110=272-Reef17.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
5110=272-Reef17.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Reef17.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

kappaknight wrote: Hey Mitch,

Have you been taking pictures of the build as it progresses?

Thanks for reminding me. I have been so busy trying to get the darn thing up and running, I forgot to take the time to snap off some pics.

I will try to take some empty tank pics tomm before I drop the sand and water in there.

wait.... HE's setting it up??? Dont forget the mastermind behind this project :yay:

tscia wrote: wait.... HE's setting it up??? Dont forget the mastermind behind this project :yay:

Mastermind is a bit excessive. I would say more along the lines of lackey, but you say tomato......

Yes, you were integral. And I have spent the rest of the time since then tuning and re-routing lines and sealing up leaks.

Just emptied it today and hooked up my RO/DI unit.

Tomm will be sand and some SW.

Thanks again for the help.

Back