RODI is shocking me!

stroid

Market
Reaction score
Well everything is great and I am producing 0 TDS water from my RODI. But something I wasn't expecting was to get a nice electric shock from sticking my hand in the bucket. I got a really big shock when I had the TDS meter in my hand. To the point were I saw a lightning bolt from my hand to the water. I did a bit of research and saw other people have had the same problem and they said it was because of static electricity built up in your body being discharged into the water. So I tried to touch some metal before trying to reach into the bucket and bam im shocked again. What is causing this to happen? How to prevent it? Thoughts?

FutureInterest;139912 wrote: I think your mutant powers are finally emerging. Gratz.
Lol that would be sweet! I would love to be able to shock people lol...now give me an answer Jin!

Its from wearing all those cashmere sweaters. If you wear cotton and polyester like us peasants then you won't have that problem.

FutureInterest;139918 wrote: Its from wearing all those cashmere sweaters. If you wear cotton and polyester like us peasants then you won't have that problem.
hahahahahahaha I cant help the fact that I have excellent taste! .... or was atleast gifted a cashmere sweater lol. :lol2:

Bah humbug.

Nah seriously, its a nice sweater. Your sister has excellent taste :).

As for your shocking issue... I can only guess that the metal you touched wasn't grounded enough to disperse your stored charge. Try rolling around in the grass outside in your precious sweater. Otherwise you might need to install a titanium grounding probe where the sun doesn't shine.

pfritzbelly;139917 wrote: Shouldn't deionized water be far less conductive?

Yes- in school I learned that pure water is a pretty good insulator. Weird.

lol ill get right on that Jin. Well it is really strange that it shocks me that bad I am gonna try grounding myself again but it is really strange how this happens.

Here, try one of
a>

Stroid;139930 wrote: lol ill get right on that Jin. Well it is really strange that it shocks me that bad I am gonna try grounding myself again but it is really strange how this happens.

Make sure that you ground yourself against something that is electrically grounded...a metal water pipe or the screws on a light switch or outlet cover (no wet hands here please!).

I've never had a shock from my RODI...

yeah seems possible that the tds meter might have some exposing wires that it shouldnt. Try taking that offline and see if you still get shocked.

It is not an in-line TDS meter it is that one that was free after google checkout. But the meter doesnt make a difference I get shocked with just my hand no meter involved at all. I am going to grab the cast iron pipe then stick my hand in the bucket to see what happens. It is really strange.

I was indicating that the TDS meter was reading a false zero, given the quote that pure water is an insulator.

DannyBradley;139995 wrote: I was indicating that the TDS meter was reading a false zero, given the quote that pure water is an insulator.
Still dont get it? My meter reads 058ppm from the tap and ir read 010ppm for about say the first 5 gallons then went down more and now is reading 000ppm. I dont think anything is wrong with the TDS but I could be wrong.

Some people tend to generate electronic fields that are stronger than others and some are static creating monsters. I personally can't wear a watch for long periods of time because it causes them to do very odd things. I ground myself and discharge any extra static in my body before I go near a gas pump. My GF has even gotten used to getting shocked just before a hug or kiss.

Cameron;140051 wrote: Some people tend to generate electronic fields that are stronger than others and some are static creating monsters. I personally can't wear a watch for long periods of time because it causes them to do very odd things. I ground myself and discharge any extra static in my body before I go near a gas pump. My GF has even gotten used to getting shocked just before a hug or kiss.
interesting it would be cool to zap people

Stroid;139997 wrote: Still dont get it? My meter reads 058ppm from the tap and ir read 010ppm for about say the first 5 gallons then went down more and now is reading 000ppm. I dont think anything is wrong with the TDS but I could be wrong.

I was joking about the possibility of your TDS meter being off. At least I'm getting closer to 1000 posts this way.

Cameron;140051 wrote: Some people tend to generate electronic fields that are stronger than others and some are static creating monsters. I personally can't wear a watch for long periods of time because it causes them to do very odd things. I ground myself and discharge any extra static in my body before I go near a gas pump. My GF has even gotten used to getting shocked just before a hug or kiss.

I hear ya. Sometimes when I touch metal filing cabinets at work or my cash register... zowie. Or even my car door... ouch.

Back