Roller Mat+Reactors or Refugium?

I'd say refugium all day. I always prefer natural to chemical/mechanical filtration.

If you want both, just make the refugium separate and plumb into your system. :)

If you want both, just make the refugium separate and plumb into your system. :)
I may need to get a smaller sump. The current one takes up all but about 8" of room under the stand. The 2 reactors fit, a stall skinny ATO res. would fit, but there is no way anything as big as a fuge would fit, and I'm trying to keep this thing contained and neat to satisfy my wife.

I'd say refugium all day. I always prefer natural to chemical/mechanical filtration.
I was going to say this as well: Between those options, I would choose Refugium 10 out of 10 times. They not only have more positive impacts, but also less negative impacts. And they require less maintenance.

At some point I'll add the roller, but I suppose I'll get the fuge light ready to go. Where can I source some clean macro algae? That jar of it from AlgaeBarn is out of stock everywhere.

At some point I'll add the roller, but I suppose I'll get the fuge light ready to go. Where can I source some clean macro algae? That jar of it from AlgaeBarn is out of stock everywhere.
There’s no such thing as clean chaeto. Just saying. If you want pest free chaeto soak it in rodi for an hour.

What are you running in a reactor? You can always add one, with its own pump, IF you ever need it?

In my sump, I bought 4inch cups to go in place of the filter socks, which can hold GAC if/when needed.

I added a roller mat, as previously mentioned. Less work.

+10 on the fuge ^

I may need to get a smaller sump. The current one takes up all but about 8" of room under the stand. The 2 reactors fit, a stall skinny ATO res. would fit, but there is no way anything as big as a fuge would fit, and I'm trying to keep this thing contained and neat to satisfy my wife.
Make a display refugium and keep it next to tank :)

Back