roller mat

chuck

Supporting
Reaction score
I know lots of people use roller mats. Im tired of cleaning socks what a pain. Can someone tell me the best roller mat to buy Thanks

Thats the way im leaning right now George thanks. Do you think you got some extra cash laying around i can borrow to get one. LMK you like paypal right

awkward d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Hey Chuck, I am using Klir Di-7., been using it for about a year now. I need adjust the flow to make the rolling smooth.

I've got two of the reefmat 500s. I love them. I'd go for the 1200 I'd you have the space. You can also get budget paper for about 1/2 price.

@enderg60 Where do you get your rolls from? do you need to cut them to size yourself or are they already the right size for the reefmat 500?

The only one's I've ever messed with are the 2 units @Adam uses and they're Klir brand. If I was in the market that's what I'd get since a lot of people I know run them. They can be finicky like everything else in this hobby but everyone I know that has them really likes them.

I use Clarisea SK-5000s in my system. The newer versions are prebuilt and easier to use. I have changed motors out on each unit once in last several years. I don’t do much maintenance on them, just change out the filter rolls every 3-4 months depending on my bio load. I hate socks, and rollers are more my lazy reefing style compared to filter floss- which I have also used in past. Most rollers if they have good materials are similar- just whatever roller fits in your configuration and sump the easiest is best way to decide. Deltec makes a beast of a roller- super high end and expensive. Eco tech use to service the Clarisea brand, but now Bulk Reef supply Carrie’s all parts- since I just replaced the motor on one unit. Super easy and works perfectly. Red Sea rollers have good reviews as well.

Socks or rollers are best in best new systems or big FOWLERS like mine. Once you have thriving, growing coral people start to run into low nutrient situations. Unless you feed real damn heavy you'll need to do something, like, umm, I don't know. Maybe go barefoot. 😉😁

Socks or rollers are best in best new systems or big FOWLERS like mine. Once you have thriving, growing coral people start to run into low nutrient situations. Unless you feed real damn heavy you'll need to do something, like, umm, I don't know. Maybe go barefoot. 😉😁
Or set your rollers on a timer so that they only run at certain times. Mine don’t run at night :)

I’ve got a Redsea Reef mat 500 on the way. Got it on eBay for $250. Hoping this helps keep my nitrates in check!

Or set your rollers on a timer so that they only run at certain times. Mine don’t run at night :)
When my rollers get stuck, I've got tons of little limpets, the water level gets high on the drain side. Which causes the ATO to top off the difference. Then after fixing the stuck roller the water levels out and causes the ATO alarm to got off. It's a vicious circle...

I don't have socks or rollers on the frag system.

When my rollers get stuck, I've got tons of little limpets, the water level gets high on the drain side. Which causes the ATO to top off the difference. Then after fixing the stuck roller the water levels out and causes the ATO alarm to got off. It's a vicious circle...

I don't have socks or rollers on the frag system.
I have limpets as well. They don’t seems to affect my Clarisea units- maybe due to their size? Or the motor strength? 🤷🏼‍♀️ also have a lot of tube worms growing in sump and they don’t stop it either. I do remember to check to make sure the rollovers are rolling at least twice a week, and if slow down, I will manually tweak them. Guess that is why they don’t get stuck?

I have limpets as well. They don’t seems to affect my Clarisea units- maybe due to their size? Or the motor strength? 🤷🏼‍♀️ also have a lot of tube worms growing in sump and they don’t stop it either. I do remember to check to make sure the rollovers are rolling at least twice a week, and if slow down, I will manually tweak them. Guess that is why they don’t get stuck?
That's probably it. I've been juggling several big projects and the systems haven't been getting the attention the need and deserve.
I wish there was someone close by, that I could trust, to pay a little to help out with th le maintenance for a few months.

right and i love working on the tank. I really enjoy water changes. But those socks i have to wash out with a water hose na .Roller Matt time

Back