rusting magnet in tank

cment

Market
Reaction score
Well over the last week or so I lost almost all my SPS and some higher end LPS and up until now had no idea why. Turns out my magnetic glass cleaner had a rusting part on it. I did a 60% water change and put new carbon in, is there anything else I should do? I will perform another 60% WC tomorrow. What type of lasting effects will this have on my tank? BTW it was a 2 little fishies mag cleaner....I also have a seperate frag tank up and running that I could move some pieces over to if need be or will this just stress the corals out more and just leave them be?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1012036=59034-image.jpg
>
1012036=59034-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Recently discovered issue with these. Sorry this happened!

I'd replace carbon often and water changes weekly until those inhabitants left are showing signs of recovery.

tonymission;1012038 wrote: Wow that sucks!!
Is that the TLF brand or what is that? I

Yes it is Tony...Im really taken back by this. Its unfortunate really. Who knows how long its been like that... Thank goodness they were any expensive acros but they were all good softball sized colonies....ahhh take the good with the bad I guess and just keep truckin along.

DawgFace;1012037 wrote: Recently discovered issue with these. Sorry this happened!

I'd replace carbon often and water changes weekly until those inhabitants left are showing signs of recovery.

Thanks Jesse...Ill def keep up with those. Things seem to be looking better already...

Seen it before, hard to fined the issue unless you have and idea what your looking for.
Good you found it before a big disaster.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1012048 wrote: Seen it before, hard to fined the issue unless you have and idea what your looking for.
Good you found it before a big disaster.

youre absolutely right marlon...it happened by complete dumb luck, my wife happen to bump my elbow while I was cleaning the glass and the two pieces seperated and I was able to see something wasnt right. My tank has been really stable for the last year and Ive had great growth, then outta the blue things started to decline quickly and I had no idea what was going on. I was scratching my head and trying to find the cause but all my test would come up normal. I then thought it was my salt and maybe its contaminated in some way but I guess not...

im not saying it wasnt the culprit but i would be surprised if it was.
gfo is essentially rust so we use "rust"in our systems daily.
either way,i hope things turn around for you soon.

I've read threads on RC about TLF magnets and them killing a bunch of stuff when the white exterior becomes separated. That's how I knew to ask.
Not saying that's it, but this isn't without precedent.

tonymission;1012070 wrote: I've read threads on RC about TLF magnets and them killing a bunch of stuff when the white exterior becomes separated. That's how I knew to ask.
Not saying that's it, but this isn't without precedent.

Yep, a great number of people reporting issues in association with this product. Anecdotal as it is a lot of them as showing pictures of exactly what cment has here. Which in any event is supposed to be sealed. I through mine out as soon as I saw that thread.... I miss it too, sucks.

reeferman;1012075 wrote: dang,hadnt read anything on them but i dont frequent rc either.im going to check mine right now :)

You have wayyy to many goodies to risk it brother.

I recently lost my two biggest sps colonies. I contributed it to an alk swing, and the. A week later I noticed the magnets on a frag rack I had in my sump were covered in rust. I almost broke my whole tank down I was so pissed. Looking back, I'm actually glad it was that over a husbandry issue, but it still makes me want to cry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some reading today and youre right Jesse...I think i read the same thread you just spoke of. Its a shame bc it works well and is small enough to get in some tight areas but def not worth the other side of the coin. Sure wish I would have found that thread earlier....

Declanisadog;1012080 wrote: I recently lost my two biggest sps colonies. I contributed it to an alk swing, and the. A week later I noticed the magnets on a frag rack I had in my sump were covered in rust. I almost broke my whole tank down I was so pissed. Looking back, I'm actually glad it was that over a husbandry issue, but it still makes me want to cry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben I know exactly what youre saying my man...

Cant find the article but I read that GFO is basically iron & hydroxide and thats pretty safe to a reef tank. The article mentioned how some steel has compounds other than iron and they can be toxic to a reef. The rust isn't bad but what leaches out as the metal breaks down may be a problem. I don't think regular magnets are bad on our tanks, thought most power heads have a magnet in the shaft on the impeller. Pretty sure the magnet the OP showed is a neodymium magnet and the stated those contain boron and are are somtimes coated with nickel & coper so maybe that could be a problem?

I guess my concern now is what type of effects this will have on my reef down the road....

Back