Salt mixing station

RonS

Reaction score
I’ve decided that hauling my RODI unit out from under the sink every time I need to make water is a PITA that I’m not willing to endure : )

I’m going to set up a salt mixing station and chronicle it here. It will eventually be used for continuous / auto water changes as well, hopefully using a home made controller.

This will probably be a slow process : )

Here are two 30 gallon drums I plan to use for the fresh/salt vats. Got these for $25 each. They are food grade, and contained bags of ibuprofen pills, so nothing has ever touched the plastic. These came from a great place out by Six Flags - they have a huge number of containers in various sizes.

If anyone is interested, they are located at:

284 Six Flags Pkwy
Austell Ga 30168

312-806-7600
Cash, Venmo, Cash App

04A2C7E5-2C86-413E-AAE6-5C92E95762C0.jpeg

A question for your feedback....

Due to space constraints (and simplified design), I will probably stack the containers, with the RODI tank on top. This tank will also be used for "unlimited" ATO.

However, that will put the source higher than the tank, which would introduce a siphon situation when the supply pump cuts off. I see three options for resolving this:
  1. Use a peristaltic pump. Still no guarantee, and I'd rather not spend the money.
  2. Install a normally-closed solenoid valve inline between the pump and my sump. When the pump shuts off, the solenoid shuts off, preventing a siphon. Until the solenoid fails open : )
  3. Install the supply pump (Sicce Silent) outside of the RODI reservoir, at ground level. This would cause the pump to push water upwards, which should prevent a siphon to the sump. The check valve I already have in place should prevent a back siphon (which shouldn't matter anyway since there will be gravity/head pressure on the pump inlet). This will work great, until the pump leaks.
I'm leaning toward #3 since it's the simplest, but I am open to views/corrections/suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

--Ron

How about just a valve to fill the salt barrel. You have to be there to physically put the salt in anyway. Unlimited ATO would be a tee in the RODI line unless you can gravity feed the ATO reservoir from the RODI barrel.

I definitely intend to just gravity feed the salt barrel (that was the "simplicity" I was referring to when stacking them). I want to try to keep it so that the RODI only runs for long periods of time... So I want to fill the the freshwater barrel and then use that as the ATO reservoir, and only refill it when it has dropped by a few gallons. If that makes sense?

I've used a solenoid on a timer in the RO line to fill the barrel

Ooh! I like that idea! I was going to re-purpose my ATO for that (I believe the JBJ can be set up to not fill until a low water mark has been reached), but the solenoid idea is interesting...

I originally set the solenoid on a timer to run twice a day but I stopped using it because when I did water changes I had to turn the timer to constant on to refill my 55 Gallon barrel, and I kept forgetting to turn it back off. I've got too many tanks so I'm constantly doing water changes, it just runs all the time now.

Here are two 30 gallon drums I plan to use for the fresh/salt vats. Got these for $25 each. They are food grade, and contained bags of ibuprofen pills, so nothing has ever touched the plastic. These came from a great place out by Six Flags - they have a huge number of containers in various sizes.

If anyone is interested, they are located at:

284 Six Flags Pkwy
Austell Ga 30168

312-806-7600
Cash, Venmo, Cash App

View attachment 18545
Now you tell me! Lol

Now you tell me! Lol

Now I feel bad!! ; )

Actually... these are probably too big for my space. I'm going to take them back and see if they'll swap them for the 15 gal version. I think that's too small, but I'm not seeing any decent 20s out there, at least not at a reasonable price

Anyone have any recommendations for a float valve? The ones I've had are pretty lame. I saw a Coralife and an Eshopps at my LFS... both look pretty good, but both are pricey. Need something that can cut off my RODI with the booster pump running...

Now I feel bad!! ; )

Actually... these are probably too big for my space. I'm going to take them back and see if they'll swap them for the 15 gal version. I think that's too small, but I'm not seeing any decent 20s out there, at least not at a reasonable price
Don’t feel bad! We got a 35g horizonta tank from Troy and bought a 35g Brute. I broke my already wrecked back trying to get that full Brute into the house over the threshold to fill the 40g Breeder today and it emptied out FAST! Hopefully you can make room.
after today there WILL be a hole going through the wall for direct access

Well, you kind of talked me out of it :p

I realize I would have the same problem as you did. But let me see where things go - there might still be a need for it. What brand is it?
There's no name on it, I think I got it on Amozon. It came with 3/8" fittings, I added two 3/8" to 1/4" adapters and the DC power supply. With your small reservoir you probably wouldn't have a problem if your Rodi is 75 GPD or more. I have an ATO upstairs that doesn't fill unless the 55 Gallon drum is full, and I empty it. @ twice a week.

I vote for option #4. Get a 3rd container to hold top off water and a Tunze Osmolator. You can plumb it to be gravity fed from the ro storage drum for refilling.

If you set up this critical function with a failure point it will fail at some point. Most likely when you're not around to correct it.

Hi Ron - IMO you're creating a challenge for yourself (ATO barrel higher than the ATO outlet) and then searching for a reliable way to solve the challenge you just created. If you were talking about a few gallons of water on a concrete floor - no biggie - but you're talking about flooding your house and killing your tank.

I would rethink your setup - if you are sure stacking is your best option - buy a pump for $35, put it in the bottom barrel and use the bottom barrel as your ato.

Also - #3 as described will still siphon. It doesn't matter if water has to run uphill or not - the only thing (within reason of course) that matters to a siphon is the height of the END of the output tube compared to the water level in the source container. You will never back-siphon from your tank to your ATO unless the end of your ATO tube is under water.

Back