Saltwater effect on sewage systems

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
K, just picked up a sewage sump and pump kit for my garage, going to need it for fish room use as well as my basement remodel.

Couple of quick questions:

1. I have asked this before I believe, but does anyone drain their tank to a sewage pump and/or septic system? If so, have you had any ill effects? (Other than possibly dead spots in the grass of your drain septic field)

2. Most sewage/sump pumps are made of cast iron, with some available constructed of stainless steel. Has anyone had a problem with premature failure due to saltwater corrosion? I am thinking that my RODI effluent might be enough to flush the system (as much as it can), if timed properly. Anyone have any insight here?

IMHO saltwater will not hurt the sewage system. Think about the products recommended to unclog drain lines and to reduce accumulation of septic... Really harsh chemicals are used and don't hurt it.
I've got a couple houses that the main sewage drain line going out of the house etc. is PVC.

Well, I am not really worried about the PVC piping as much as I am about the sewage pump and bacteria in the septic system. Admittedly, my wife is horrible about using large amounts of bleach when cleaning the bathroom and I should really be doing a better job about supplementing the bacteria to the system. With that said, I am hoping that the "SOLUTION" is "DILUTION", by using my RODI wastewater to flush the system after water changes.

I wish I could just dump the saltwater into the yard or down to the curb, but don't want big brother giving me any regulatory grief. That and any dead spots in the grass...lol

I have also considered constructing an open bottom basin just outside of the fish room under my front deck. It would be constructed similar to a septic tank, but with a gravel bottom and no drain field. I would have to check my soils to see what the percolation rate is, but it might be a good solution. The only things I would be running there would be saltwater, vinegar, and chlorine bleach (which if vented properly should evaporate). The only concern with this solution would be that the water that does drain out of the basin could potentially flow downgrade and daylight to my topsoil since the basin is at the top of a hill.

Only way to be sure is to call the pump manufacturer and ask if it has exposed metal parts and if they are stainless.

Honestly if its not for dedicated salt water use I doubt it will be a problem as the other water will rinse it. If youre worried just flush it out with 5 gallons of fresh water after you push a bunch of saltwater through it.

If you have a septic tank I would NOT poor the waste water into your system plain and simple!

Just pour it out on your neighbor's driveway and let it evaporate. I wouldn't put it in your septic tank for sure.

I have a septic system, and I do not put any saltwater through it.

You don't want to pump any large volume of water into the septic tank if not necessary, salt or fresh. This means not leaving the water running the whole time you shave, doing the least possible amount of loads of laundry, etc. Lol. I would say no it's not a good idea. Pump the water outside to the street/ sewers. That's what I'd do if I had a large tank and that's where I empty my jugs when they're all filled with SW to dispose of

So for those that run septic, where do you dispose of your saltwater? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to divulge that info to the group...lol

I just pour my saltwater down my drain, but its only normally 5 gallons a week. I've been doing that for almost 5 years now and no problems. Just recently had septic tank drained and they said everything looks good. Our septic tank is 14 years old aswell.

Only thing that goes down my septic is my skimmate when I clean my collection cup. All other water is dumped on my driveway.

That smell drives my wife nuts too ;)

Here lately when it has been so hot I just pour it out on my concrete driveway and it evaporates within minutes. I thought I would have some salt residue after it evaporated but none yet! Not sure if the salt actually dissolves into the concrete or if when the water evaporates the salt blows away. I have also used it as a weed killer around the house! Alot less expensive than roundup!

I dump my WC water , 15 gallons every 2 weeks right in my back yard. Same spot every time and grass has not been effected what so ever. If you dump it out on the grass and you are worried about your grass just water it in after you dump it.

LegalReefer;984316 wrote: I'm goin to drain mine to the street. Have a 100' hose with and adapter to the PVC

Yeah, thought of doing the same, but that makes me nervous. For one, I am nervous of what EPD might do if they caught me dumping saltwater onto the street (therefore into the storm water system). Also, I was at Pure Reef a week or two ago and they were having to repave a portion of their parking lot out back b/c the salt water has completely destroyed the parking lot.

ghbrewer;984318 wrote: Yeah, thought of doing the same, but that makes me nervous. For one, I am nervous of what EPD might do if they caught me dumping saltwater onto the street (therefore into the storm water system). Also, I was at Pure Reef a week or two ago and they were having to repave a portion of their parking lot out back b/c the salt water has completely destroyed the parking lot.

Doesn't the city put down a ton of salt to prevent roads from icing? I'm sure if it was terrible for the storm water runoff they'd use calcium chloride instead

You bring up a good point, but my house is near where our neighborhoods storm system empties directly into a perineal stream. I may be over thinking this a little, but just don't want to damage anything if I can avoid it. Running it to the street would be the best option since it does not affect my property, that and we are only really talking about 1 to 2 gallons a day (automated water change system). While that doesn't seem like a lot, I imagine it would sterilize the soil from constant exposure if I were to dump it in the yard.

Hey Grant,
I pour mine on our back gravel driveway. I think you pouring it on gravel and letting it settle into the ground is the best bet. The heavy rains we get here will take care of the rest. It normally does not hurt the grass or the trees. They probably like the trace elements, mag, phos etc. I would avoid putting more water into your septic. The best thing for a septic tank i am told is some brewers yeast every so often down the drain. Natural and cheap. Concrete does not do well with salt water, probably the biggest concern there is putting water on a hot surface, it cools it down too quick and causes it to stress fracture. birds love salt water BTW. maybe a seasonal saltwater pond with some mollies : )
I do use some in my goldfish pond, it gets washed out with the rain, fish are doing great. also use some in bird baths, it seems mosquitos do not like it.

Back