sand options and star board????

eagle9252

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span><span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I need to know if the sand I have chosen will work. I’ll copy the info found but I have a sand sifting starfish and a twin spot golby and might get a diamond back sand sifter later (as I have not check for compatible yet) but I don’t want the sand blowing around in the tank. I’m switchin tanks so I will start off with new. I think what was in there is Fiji Pink. I bought a couple of bags and after looking at it they look the same. So the next step up is the special floor reef grade. I have 40 lbs of the pink live sand and 40 lbs of the reef grade dry sand. I know I have to wash the dry. But what would you do? Or would you just mix them. I think I need more sand anyway maybe about 20 lbs more. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Also been thinking of putting the white plastic board down first then the LR on it so I don’t put rocks on the glass and then the sand around that. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Fiji Pink Sand</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">0.5-1.5 mm; available in 20 lb water packed bag </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Special Grade Sand</span></span><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">1.0-2.0 mm; available in 20 lb water packed bag </span></span>
<p style="text-align:left;">
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Fiji Pink Sand</span><span style="font-family: Arial;">
0.5-1.0 mm; 20 lb water packed bag
This soft pink colored, 100% aragonite substrate is a good intermediate sand size product. The precise grain size combines some of the animal friendly properties of fine sand such as ingestability and low resistance to burrowing, but with better diffusive flux properties and good porosity. This is also the standard choice for reef aquariums at 1 pound per gallon. </span>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Special Grade Sand</span><span style="font-family: Arial;">
1.0-2.0 mm; 20 lb water packed bag
This coarse sand is 100% aragonite and has excellent diffusive properties. A very versatile product, use in deep or shallow beds. A significant denitrator when utilized in deeper beds or plenum systems</span>​

If you have sand, why would you use star board? If you must use something, then why not use egg crate. It is cheaper and easier to modify.

I had used eggcrate during the first setup and was told to remove it as it creates pockets for buildup. So i pulled it out. I have access to the Rigid Polyethylene (HDPE) (star board) scraps.

I wouldn't bother with starboard if you are using substrate. The chances of cracking a tank bottom are pretty slim.

I just don’t feel comfortable putting rocks straight on the glass as it will have uneven pressure points. If i press it into the sand it will at least even some of the pressure points. That’s what i have at the moment. Just trying to do it right or am I over complicating it, like normal.

I guess I’m going to use the Fiji pink and mix what reef grade I have. As I can only find references to the fiji pink for sand sifters and no one will comment on the other and almost no LFS carry the reef grade. I guess that's a bad sign :^(

Acroholic;747944 wrote: I wouldn't bother with starboard if you are using substrate. The chances of cracking a tank bottom are pretty slim.

eagle9252;747997 wrote: I just don’t feel comfortable putting rocks straight on the glass as it will have uneven pressure points. If i press it into the sand it will at least even some of the pressure points. That’s what i have at the moment. Just trying to do it right or am I over complicating it, like normal.

I guess I’m going to use the Fiji pink and mix what reef grade I have. As I can only find references to the fiji pink for sand sifters and no one will comment on the other and almost no LFS carry the reef grade. I guess that's a bad sign :^(
You should always have your rock on a hard, stable surface, regardless of whether it is glass or starboard. Place your reef structure on top of sand and you are asking for trouble. The sand under the rock will move or get blown out from under the rock, and you will have a shift in the rock structure and/or a rockslide. Count on it.

The rock in my two reefs sits directly on the glass and has for a couple years. As an inexperienced new reefer, I built my first rock structure on the sand and had the above results.

I put my rock right on the top of my sand, but I also epoxy my rock together so it's just one solid chunk of rock. Would this still be an issue?

eagle9252;747997 wrote: I just don’t feel comfortable putting rocks straight on the glass as it will have uneven pressure points. :^(

I agree! I hate the thought of rock on glass.

Nothing wrong with eggcrate on the bottom of the tank.

good luck!

I as well as a lot of other people run bare bottom with rocks on the glass. I remember a video a few years ago where someone stacked like 400 lbs of rock about six feet high in a 10 gallon aquarium. I need to find it.

Found it. It is tempered glass and held 91.8lbs of rock on a very small area. Then the guy stood on some of the rocks to show over 220lbs on the 10 gallon aquarium.

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEwEiTyYcs</div>

eagle9252;747997 wrote: I just don’t feel comfortable putting rocks straight on the glass as it will have uneven pressure points. If i press it into the sand it will at least even some of the pressure points. That’s what i have at the moment. Just trying to do it right or am I over complicating it, like normal.

I use the special grade reef flor sand exclusively in my tank. Works for gobies and is heavy enough to keep my MP40's from pushing it around. Picked up a 40 lb bag at optimum yesterday.

You're over-thinking it.

I've been putting rock on glass for over 12 years since I started doing reefs. Never been an issue.

Eggcrate will create pockets of detritus - I wouldn't do that either.

Jenn

Back