Sand sifting gobies

calhounreef

Market
Reaction score
Any recommendations on sand sifting gobies? I'd like to get one that doesn't get as large as the diamond watchman goby, one that stays a little smaller

Are you looking for something to stir the sand bed? A bunch of Nasarrius snails would be the less messy option.

My pistol and yellow striped goby are ALWAYS moving the sand. The pistol of course is the builder, but the sand is definitely getting moved around if that's what you're looking for.

Well I've got a conch in there already but he just seems to stay in one section and is acting kind of lazy lol I see him maybe once a week, but I'd actually like to get a sand sifting goby not only to help keep the sand bed turned over but also add a bottom dwelling fish to the tank as well, don't really have any coral on the bottom except for a couple of euphyllias so it's cool if he decides to make a mountain or three =)

scramer74;1033672 wrote: My pistol and yellow striped goby are ALWAYS moving the sand. The pistol of course is the builder, but the sand is definitely getting moved around if that's what you're looking for.
I was thinking about a pistol and goby combo but wasn't sure if my wrasse would be a problem for the shrimp so I decided to play it safe, would love to have a pair though, they're really cool to watch

Bit of a trade off with gobies. Anything that is going to sift the entire sand bed is also going to make a bit of a mess in your tank. It's going to leave sand on your rocks and likely bury some frags. Others, like the watchmen, will tend to only clean the areas around their home.

I have a Rainsford Goby. He's a cool little guy. He isn't intimidated by my Midas Blenny or Lubbock's Wrasse. He eats solely from the sand bed. I honestly didn't think he was getting much from the sand bed, but it has gained weight since I've had him the last three months. He stays small and sifts the sand bed constantly.

I have a two spot goby that sifts the sand all day. People say that they are hard to keep alive but I've had good luck with mine. It's been alive for 3 months and eats pellets and mysis like a champ!

I feed frozen mysis daily. I haven't seen my Rainsford Goby eating from the water column. I'm almost positive it will pluck the mysis up from the rocks and sandbed.

For those of you with sand sifting gobies, what did you do in regards to QT'ing? The LFS I talked to said that they do not weather the QT process very well. Do you treat them like you would a wrasse, by putting a container of sand in with them? I saw a couple threads where people did not have any sand in with them, said they did ok, and helped to get them use to eating food without sifting. I would just be concerned this might condition them not to sift. Just curious what others have done (other than just throwing them in the DT without QT'ing)?

ghbrewer;1033745 wrote: For those of you with sand sifting gobies, what did you do in regards to QT'ing? The LFS I talked to said that they do not weather the QT process very well. Do you treat them like you would a wrasse, by putting a container of sand in with them? I saw a couple threads where people did not have any sand in with them, said they did ok, and helped to get them use to eating food without sifting. I would just be concerned this might condition them not to sift. Just curious what others have done (other than just throwing them in the DT without QT'ing)?
Same thing I was wondering

kylebolch;1033743 wrote: Sleeper gold head goby :)

Only if you like blowing sand off your corals on a daily basis.

Thats the only fish I have ever broken down a tank to get out.

EnderG60;1033757 wrote: Only if you like blowing sand off your corals on a daily basis.

Thats the only fish I have ever broken down a tank to get out.

I am almost to that point with my Golden Head.

I put my yellow diamond goby in my QT with no sand not even thinking it would be a problem. He ate pellet food no problem for me and once I moved him over to the display, he started sifting sand again. I don't know if that's normal, but that was my experience.

Back