Sand sifting gobies

EnderG60;1033757 wrote: Only if you like blowing sand off your corals on a daily basis.

Thats the only fish I have ever broken down a tank to get out.

this....

i will never get one again. The wife loves them... but they are a nuisance. Also if you have a DSB, they are out of the question.

ghbrewer;1033745 wrote: For those of you with sand sifting gobies, what did you do in regards to QT'ing? The LFS I talked to said that they do not weather the QT process very well. Do you treat them like you would a wrasse, by putting a container of sand in with them? I saw a couple threads where people did not have any sand in with them, said they did ok, and helped to get them use to eating food without sifting. I would just be concerned this might condition them not to sift. Just curious what others have done (other than just throwing them in the DT without QT'ing)?

I've got two, a pink spotted (old big guy) and yellow/blue spotted and QT both without sand. I do have 3 pieces of PVC with drilled holes in my QT to give them a place to hide.

When I got the Pistol shrimp & goby pair I put the shrimp in the display (very unlikely is there a need for QT). After the 2 week QT treatment for the (tiny weeny) goby, I did 2 large water changes to remove meds from QT and put pistal in with baby goby for a week because I was doing Rock rock and didn't want to smash them.
They all live happily together now in my DT :)

CalhounReef;1033674 wrote: I was thinking about a pistol and goby combo but wasn't sure if my wrasse would be a problem for the shrimp so I decided to play it safe, would love to have a pair though, they're really cool to watch

What kind of wrasse do you have?

I've also put 3 wrasse through this QT without sand successfully with the PVC.

If you don't like/keep a lot of coral and frags on your sand bed they are no problem. Personally I like a clean look on the sand bed, although I do have a huge wellso, Nems, chalice ... corals on my sand bed without issue. It just depends on your choice of goby!

Grant I just realized what you were saying! Maybe that's why mine don't make a mess! They sift but don't make a mess, it's cute! They eat when it falls down to them, waiting patiently :)
(I couldn't edit first post, who's this "Administrator" that won't let me edit after 30 minutes, lol. The message appears that he's watching my every move, haha.)

I've got MANY SICK fish from Live Aquaria.
Always QT!

CalhounReef;1033820 wrote: It's a melanurus wrasse

Awe yes, that's a problem!

Are you sure you don't want to Remove that fish while you can?

If you get aptasia, you can't use peppermint shrimp to rid!

Camellia;1033827 wrote: Awe yes, that's a problem!

Are you sure you don't want to Remove that fish while you can?

If you get aptasia, you can't use peppermint shrimp to rid!
Oh heck no, I love that fish lol him and my kole tang are buddies he's a model citizen, I would just worry about putting shrimp in there since they're his favorite snack =)

Back