Sand

james s_

Market
Reaction score
Looking to buy 5-600 lbs of sand for my new tank. Would like to here opinions on the best sand out there. In the past I have used the Arag-alive bags you get at the LFS. But Im going with sand in bulk this time to save on cost. Im contemplating on which grain of Aragonite is best for buffering and was also thinking about mixing in some finely crushed coral or some course grain sand with shells mixed in as well. If I decided to mix in a courser sand would it be better to mix it all together with the fine sand or would it be better to put it in the tank in layers.

The tank is going to be used for my eels and aggressive fish so I dont want something that is so fine that the tank will be cloudy from them acting crazy in the tank. FWIW, I plan on having around 2-3" of sand.

Even with fine crushed coral, the sand if its a finer grade will always sink under the CC, buy 600lbs of Southdown or Old Castle, can't remember what name its selling under these days.. I have 300lbs of it in my tank, didn't have the cash for 300lbs of LS.

I think the Southdown is under a new name now--seems like someone else bought it--I've heard the southdown stuff is just as good, but kinda finer grain and can create a sandstorm pretty easily if something stirs it up--I saw where one guy brought in sand in like 5 gallon buckets--seems like that would be more cost effective compared to buying it in 20lb. bags; and I'm sure you already know to buy just regular sand and "seed" it with someone else's live sand-no need in buying 600 lbs. of "live sand"

Personally, I find southdown sand too fine for tanks where the sand will be burrowed into. Any movement of the stuff clouds the tank.

You can get Caribsea aragonite sand in coarser textures in 40-50 lb bags for about $.50 a pound... not as cheap as southdown but a good bit cheaper than Arag-alive...

I've got ~50lbs of Caribsea aragonite that I'll give you if you want it... It's in a bucket with some water - was only in my tank for about a month...

now why would you want to cover a perfectly good BB tank with sand???

-The clubs crazy BB guy :)

mojo;132935 wrote: I've got ~50lbs of Caribsea aragonite that I'll give you if you want it... It's in a bucket with some water - was only in my tank for about a month...

Thanks Chris. Bring it when you come to get the skimmer if you dont mind. :)

glxtrix;132936 wrote: now why would you want to cover a perfectly good BB tank with sand???

-The clubs crazy BB guy :)

My 125 is barebottom right now. I hate the detritus that builds up it looks like Sh-t. The bottom of the tank with no sand looks like Sh-t. It looks Unnatural,etc............... I could go on. No hard feelings though towards you BB guys . :)

Plus my eels love to dig up the sand and make messes. :)

DrNecropolis;132777 wrote: Even with fine crushed coral, the sand if its a finer grade will always sink under the CC, buy 600lbs of Southdown or Old Castle, can't remember what name its selling under these days.. I have 300lbs of it in my tank, didn't have the cash for 300lbs of LS.

Southdown sand is next to Impossible to find. Ive been down that road allready. Im not going with Live sand so it wont be too expensive.

Schwaggs;132928 wrote: Personally, I find southdown sand too fine for tanks where the sand will be burrowed into. Any movement of the stuff clouds the tank.

You can get Caribsea aragonite sand in coarser textures in 40-50 lb bags for about $.50 a pound... not as cheap as southdown but a good bit cheaper than Arag-alive...

I agree. I think the Caribsea would be the way to go. Tim is going to get some prices for me. Thanks

I believe caribsea has specific rights to sell southdown. I think i remember hearing something about that a while back.

Have you ever thought of getting some from the ocean? Where we go in carrabelle it is not over populated so you wouldnt have to worry about waste and we can go off shore a few miles and there is a reef about 8 foot deep, if you are up for snorkeling. It would cost about as much as if you bought it, but if you want to chip in we can always get the sand and make a fishing trip out of it.

If you could wait. we could do a group buy. I need about 1600 pounds of sand and I'm going through the same questions in my head... and I really don't want to pay $1600-$3200 for live sand...

I believe this is the new company that handles the "southdown" sand.

http://www.oldcastlecementmixes.com/products2.htm">http://www.oldcastlecementmixes.com/products2.htm</a>

You might want to contact them to find out. I know they have an all natural sterilized "play" sand.

There's a couple of tanks in the works, how many bags are on a pallet? Would that drop the price down?

46bfinga;133023 wrote: I agree. I think the Caribsea would be the way to go. Tim is going to get some prices for me. Thanks

mkinna1;133046 wrote: Have you ever thought of getting some from the ocean? Where we go in carrabelle it is not over populated so you wouldnt have to worry about waste and we can go off shore a few miles and there is a reef about 8 foot deep, if you are up for snorkeling. It would cost about as much as if you bought it, but if you want to chip in we can always get the sand and make a fishing trip out of it.

I would be very interested in this... Plus I could use a good fishing trip when I get back...

I really like my Aragamax Sand. It might be too fine for you, but I like the way it looks and don't find that it gets stirred up too often. You can buy it from Drs with a flat shipping of $17.99 no matter how much you buy I believe. Big plus it is delivered right to your front door.

We are wanting to go back to the beach pretty soon so we can figure something out. Has anyone on here ever used sand brought back?

Back