Sand

I'd be sure to run it through some kind of sterilization or something--I'm sure the critters you pick up at our beach aren't the same found in the reefs in the caribean or fiji--

mkinna1;133046 wrote: Have you ever thought of getting some from the ocean? Where we go in carrabelle it is not over populated so you wouldnt have to worry about waste and we can go off shore a few miles and there is a reef about 8 foot deep, if you are up for snorkeling. It would cost about as much as if you bought it, but if you want to chip in we can always get the sand and make a fishing trip out of it.

Sounds like a cool Idea,but me and the wife have a baby coming within the next couple weeks,and I dont have the time to take any trips. Its going to be hard enough getting this tank going. Wish I did though,that would be fun.

Harleyguy;133755 wrote: If you could wait. we could do a group buy. I need about 1600 pounds of sand and I'm going through the same questions in my head... and I really don't want to pay $1600-$3200 for live sand...

I can wait 4-5 months probably. Im just trying to line something up ahead of time. I have a few LFS getting me some prices, but a group buy would be a good idea.

I could buy my sand now, provided that it is packaged well. If we buy regular sand or aggregate that should be fine. Heck even if we buy live sand I think the bags say it's good for years. I might need someone to sit on it for me though.

I'm going to post a question on RC to see if anyone has ever gotten sand straight from the reef and if so what laws are involved and what if any cleaning sterilization process they used.

Here is the thread I started on RC
showthread.php

46bfinga;133018 wrote: Thanks Chris. Bring it when you come to get the skimmer if you dont mind. :)

Sorry James- I just read this post - I missed it before I ran up there! I'll hang on to the sand until I see you to give you those plumbing pieces for the skimmer.

Back