scarlet cleaner shrimp eggs

jamescook

Market
Reaction score
I guess it's pretty common for these critters to carry eggs, but i have 3 that are covered constantly and was wondering if anyone raises them? I was thinking of putting them in the QT or a empty tank and feeding them with the phyto and zoo plankton and bbshrimp i've got going. I've heard they can eat bbs, but surely rotifers would be small enough.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
238843=13889-cleanereggs.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
238843=13889-cleanereggs.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="cleanereggs.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Hey thanks for the links. looks like i've got some good reading tonight.
I just heard there is a guy at petland in alpharetta that breeds the pepermints.

I think i'll give it a go. barebottom 10g with airstone. remove the adult shrimp after the egg drop and dose with greenwater. then dose with roti water and HUFA. if any are still kicking, hatch some bbs day 4-5
honestly i've never bred anything marine, but the shrimp are probably all i can catch from my display. if they'll take the hand cleaning seriously!

jamescook;239042 wrote: Hey thanks for the links. looks like i've got some good reading tonight.
I just heard there is a guy at petland in alpharetta that breeds the pepermints.

I think i'll give it a go. barebottom 10g with airstone. remove the adult shrimp after the egg drop and dose with greenwater. then dose with roti water and HUFA. if any are still kicking, hatch some bbs day 4-5
honestly i've never bred anything marine, but the shrimp are probably all i can catch from my display. if they'll take the hand cleaning seriously!

Yeah, Porter breeds them. It isnt as easy as it sounds, but it is doable.

I figure i have to try. i've been wanting to breed the clowns, but they are still too young (and i hear they don't like to spawn with 3 cleaner shrimp watching them:)
my bangai's mouth is full, but caching him.... I got 2 sea urchins...fingers crossed.
the shrimp used to hide when they were carrying, but now all 3 have eggs and might take a ride in my hand.
I converted my original reef tank to fresh to free up the little tank for something. the 12g pods are busy growing phyto and zoo plankton, so wish me luck!

I have spoken with Porter at length about raising cleaner shrimp fry. As easy as it seems it is not at all. I gave up after three or four attempts with the larvae.

anyone know if porter ever successfully bread seahorses. know he was trying a while(like 1-2 years ago) when he still worked at fish store and more.

Tanks Porter for all the info. I'll look for you if i can make it to the meeting

evrybody seems to say that the cylindricoconical upwellers are the ticket. anybody use a water bottle? I was thinking how to cut off the bottom of one of my glass carboys when it hit me. those 5g plastic water bottle are everywhere and I bet i have a drilled rubber stopper to fit

I read the peppermint article and i'll check this one out next. i got my 18 tall set up with an airstone and haven't caught the shrimp yet. I didn't feel like starting something doomed to fail. I don't have the equipment or space for more specialized tanks. I may try to set up the bottles with a PH and see. that's something i could handle. I'm working on my house and hopefully will have my back porch built next year and have some space for more tanks. I have to be able to record here, so I have to be able to turn off the ocean at times, and i know that's not possible with the larval tanks. but i'm really learning a lot from your articles and hope to put it to use in the future.
thanks

I did get a 5g water bottle to squeez into my tank. i have 1 ph below and one running into the handle to get the rotation. I'll have to plumb in valves to control the flow, but in may be a DIY larval tank.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
244740=14145-test.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
244740=14145-test.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="test.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back