Schuran JetStream1 CA Reactor?

calireefer

Market
Reaction score
I want a calcium reactor and I think I've narrowed it down to the Schuran JetStream 1 Ca Reactor(how about a review Big D), the Geo 818 or one of the MRC models. I guess what I want is to hear some personal experiences with your favorite reactor.
Also does anyone use the Reef keeperII to control the co2 solenoid, can this be done? <span style="font-size: 1+1px;"><span style="color: #006699;">
</span>
</span>

I recently set up a Jetstram 1. I had a great first impression until I went through the headache of setting one up. The problem lies within getting the silicone o-rings to seat into the grooves properly because of the way the chamber slides in and out. I do like how it's mounted and out of the way. It was also a real pain to de-gas the thing.

I've never set up a Geo 818.

Of course I'd like to see you get a MRC model over those for obvious reasons :). The spray bar upgrade on the MRCs makes a big difference in the efficiency of the models. If you were an ARC member, you'd get a 10% discount at MRC as they are a sponser. We're also local so getting after purchase support is a complete non issue.

I have a Reef Sump from you guys and I love the quality. I am considering going with your ca reactor but I like how the Schuran reuses all of the co2. Also it got a very good impartial review as did the GEO 818, which as a first time ca reactor buyer, weighs heavily in there favor. If you have a link to a good review of your product I would love to research it further. Thanks

-Merlin

Merlin...I have a MRC 1 and it's a quality product. Easily set up and performs like a champ. If you'd like to come over and check it out you are quite welcome. I considered the Jetstream also but went with a local company.

Thanks Mark,
I prefer going with a local company as well, I just was never able to find any reviews on those reactors. How long you had yours going? Does it keep your levels pretty stable, how often do you need to adjust it?
I'm kind of busy with school right now but I would love to come over one of these weekends and check it out.

-Merlin

I've had it on the 160 for several months now and my calcium is stable, my alkalinity was a little off but I stabilized it by using kalk with my top-off. I had had to adjust it a few times, more due to a regulator issue. I use a PH controller with a probe in a T-fitting on the reactor and it conserves the CO2 and ensures the efluent is at the right PH all the time. Just let me know when you'd like to swing by and check it out.

I can give a review of the Schuran--I've been running one for close to a year now. The cons first: If you break a part that needs replacing, count on a wait and a hefty price. Luckily, I was able to repair mine with some weldon #40 and it's good as new (broken in transit). That's really the only complaint I've had, though.

As for the pros, this thing really can keep up with any level of demand your tank has. I've got about 220 total gallons and am pretty packed with clams and SPS, and I haven't dosed extra calcium or buffer in months and months. I also barely ever have to adjust it, and that is only when the aqualifter feed pump needs cleaning.

I run the bubbles at about 2-3 per second and the effluent at a slow but steady stream and I get a pH in the chamber of 6.1-6.3. I just checked my levels for the first time in months today and my calcium is 500 and alk is 10.6. I keep a bag of dolomite in the chamber as well to keep the Mg up and it runs a steady 1350ppm with no intervention.

So basically, this has been a totally hands-off reactor for me, except for a slight adjustment to the drip rate from time to time, and it has kept my tank completely in check with no additional additives (I don't think I even own any buffer...)

Oh, I do add kalk to my auto top-off, so add that to the equation. My tank pH stays at 8.0-8.3.

In less than one year, I've gone through 3 entire chambers of media. The only other reactor I've had was a CR-3, which I like well enough. But this thing blows that out of the water in terms of performance and craftsmanship (not that there's anything wrong with the MRCs, of course!).

I would definitely recomend one. I havne't had the issue Danny mentioned with the seals.

I have the Jetstream (the one that danny hooked up). It isn't fully operational yet, but the big advantages are a slick was to remove the media chamber and the reuse of gas in a clever way. It is a nice unit. Can't speak for the others. I selected the Jetstream because of a deal Premium Aquatics was having on them and I got a really good value. I did spring for a top of the line (well hobby top of the line) Co2 regulator setup which I got here:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARIUMPLANTS_com_s_Co2_Regulator_The_BEST_p/co2-1.htm">http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARIUMPLANTS_com_s_Co2_Regulator_The_BEST_p/co2-1.htm</a>

I heard to many pain in the arse stories with these and figured the extra $50 bucks was worth it.

Back