Scolymia Coral problem

That looks more like a trachy or meat coral than a scoly.
But I think she should sell it for cheap . I volunteer to buy it for cheap ;)

Honestly keep an eye on it. Looks like a small infection. As it stands from picture, I should be without too much problems.

That looks more like a trachy or meat coral than a scoly.
But I think she should sell it for cheap . I volunteer to buy it for cheap ;)

Honestly keep an eye on it. Looks like a small infection. As it stands from picture, I should be without too much problems.
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure of the species. 😁

My parameters
pH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Alkalinity 9.6
Magnesium 1280
Calcium 410

Looks like a bacterial infection. I didn’t see your phosphates listed any idea what they are? I would do an iodine dip every other night for a few days.

That is a Trachyphyllia, not a scoly. They like being on the sand bed and will often recede or get infections when they are placed on rocks.
For infections, I do an iodine dip and keep the coral in a clean place, if it seems to help then nothing else is needed, otherwise you need to do another dip or consider Cipro. She looks generally healthy though, so one or two dips should be enough.

Would Lugols do for an iodine dip? It's been on that rock for almost a year but I'll move it to the sand if you think that'll help.

I don't think I've tested phosphates. If I don't have that in my kit I'll get one and test it tomorrow

It looks like you can use it but I can't find a good protocol.

Would Lugols do for an iodine dip? It's been on that rock for almost a year but I'll move it to the sand if you think that'll help.

I don't think I've tested phosphates. If I don't have that in my kit I'll get one and test it tomorrow
Yes def keep an eye on your phosphates. IMO it’s the most important value to test. Lugols will definitely work. Just be sure to put enough drops to almost get a light tea consistency. Typically in a small tupperware container that’s about 8-12 drops. I dip it for about 10 mins.

Yes def keep an eye on your phosphates. IMO it’s the most important value to test. Lugols will definitely work. Just be sure to put enough drops to almost get a light tea consistency. Typically in a small tupperware container that’s about 8-12 drops. I dip it for about 10 mins.
And put a little air bubble stone in there right?

And put a little air bubble stone in there right?
That’s not necessary. 10-15 mins in a dip without a bubbler won’t affect anything. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt. Just lightly take a pipette and blow off the area that looks infected while it’s in the dip.

Back