Scwd

seedless reefer

Market
Reaction score
Anyone using one?

Pros? Cons?

Getting ready to drill the 125 thought this might be a nice addition to the returns. SCWD would be run by a Mag 9.5 and outlets would have eductors.

Thoughts?

i have one and it does what it's supposed too. It will reduce the gph of the return pump but that was not a problem for me. Some say they could here it working but i can't over fans and such.

Joe

Mine worked perfect untill I took the tank down, 20 dollars and it could be yours. (went with an oceansmotion on the new tank)
Jerry

Ok I want it how would we go about getting it?

paypal/ship? or will you be at the dec meeting????

Seedless Reefer;105933 wrote: Anyone using one?

Pros? Cons?

Getting ready to drill the 125 thought this might be a nice addition to the returns. SCWD would be run by a Mag 9.5 and outlets would have eductors.

Thoughts?

One on a Mag 9.5 is going to switch an awful lot... I think once every second or so. Does not give a good amount of time to build up flow.

Yeah, a squid, I mean Scwd . they're great!

I'm just posting somewhere to see my new avatar

just remembered that i have a inline valve to slow the flow. just turned it wide open and got about 16 seconds of flow on each return. im glad you started this thread because i was thinking of using this with a mag 12 on my new 120. not such a good idea anymore:doh:

I really don't recommend these unless you're on a tight budget and just absolutely must have some alternating flow in the tank. I don't really care about the negatives that it creates backpressure or that it significantly impedes the flow.

My biggest problem with them is that they are impossible to service correctly as it is one fused unit. As such, you are going to get calcium deposits that will eventually clog it up and it will stop working entirely. Mine only worked for 8 months or so and then it was just junk. Sure you can soak it in vinegar forever, but then it clogged again in 2 months. You just can't open them up to clean them correctly, which sucks horribly.

I guess they're relatively cheap enough to be considered disposable, but if you want a unit that won't quit on you get an OM device.

No worries. I've got mine lying around if you want it to just try out. It won't work long enough to be worth it imo, but if you don't mind soaking it regularly it may work out for yah.

FYI:

Flow into SCWD..... SCWD TD Output..... Efficiency..... Switching Duration
150 gph............... 90 gph................... 60%............ 22 seconds
180 gph.............. 120 gph.................. 65%............ 16 seconds
240 gph.............. 180 gph................. 75%............. 12 seconds
270 gph.............. 210 gph................. 80%............. 10 seconds
330 gph.............. 240 gph................. 80%............. 9 seconds
400 gph.............. 360 gph................. 90%............. 7 seconds
600 gph.............. 540 gph................. 90%............. 5 seconds
720 gph.............. 660 gph................. 90%............. 4 seconds

Jin - Maybe you should just buy several. Have one ready, one soaking, and one in action. Instead of vinegar, just dilute a little of this.. Oh and ignore the little 'attacks plastics' part. They're probably just exaggerating.

show_product.do

Thanks Danny, I appreciate it. I put it in because I wanted some variable flow and all I had was some static tunzes. I've got all the variable flow I can handle now so it would not be worth the trouble anymore.

Back