Sea Grasses In The Display Tank

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
Is anyone growing sea grasses in there display tank? In our 175 build I am considering incoorporating mineral mud or refugium mud into the substrate on one side of the tank and giving it a try. I know I will have to build up 6" or more. I was thinking of contructing a slope toward one of the back corners.

Anyone been successful with this?

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks!

I currently have some turtle grass plugs and some oar grass in my 150 DT. When I get my all my livestock transferred over I will probably move these to a designated macroalgae/seagrass refugium (40g breeder). I like tangs and don't want them eating my grasses and ornamental algaes. I love the thought of grasses in the DT though. Makes it much more realistic in some ways.

Then you will be seeing me. :) I'm a big fan of a primary producer. :)

Sounds like its doable :) .

I am now considering getting a small aquarium (or something) to contain the funky, mud/sand substrate and submerge it on one side and do some rock work around it.

Stacy...did you do anything special with the substrate for your turtle grass? I have read it need to be deep and yucky.

Thanks

BASSCYN;268220 wrote: Sounds like its doable :) .

I am now considering getting a small aquarium (or something) to contain the funky, mud/sand substrate and submerge it on one side and do some rock work around it.

Stacy...did you do anything special with the substrate for your turtle grass? I have read it need to be deep and yucky.

Thanks

I'm not as good looking as Stacy, but I'll help answer :)

As long as the sandbed is medium depth to hold the roots, then you are good. A fine grain sand is preferred as they do come from such an environment. Muddy and dirty is not necessary, but a good live sandbed is always a good thing! Hope that helps!

percula;268245 wrote: I'm not as good looking as Stacy, but I'll help answer :)

As long as the sandbed is medium depth to hold the roots, then you are good. A fine grain sand is preferred as they do come from such an environment. Muddy and dirty is not necessary, but a good live sandbed is always a good thing! Hope that helps!

Yes...that helps a lot. I have read it is helpful to use like refugium or mineral mud in the mixture. Is that true??
If I submerge a container of somekind, I could put what ever beneficial nutrients needed without trashing the rest of the sand bed. I just picked up a load Southdown sand from a member and it is very fine and white. I dont want it to get mixed with da funky sand.

Thanks for the help.

Right now my turtle grass is planted in a plastic bowl. I cut holes in the sides of it. I used about 3 inches of fine sand in the bowl and planted the plugs right in it. I added about .5 inches of a plant fertilizer spike in the middle of the plugs. They seem to be doing great. When I get my separate refugium up and running I will transplant them there...I may try and add in some fine mud-type substrate with the sand.

I love grasses and macroalgae. My refugium will be a 40 breeder that hopefully will be a very cool second DT. :)

BASSCYN;268291 wrote: Yes...that helps a lot. I have read it is helpful to use like refugium or mineral mud in the mixture. Is that true??
If I submerge a container of somekind, I could put what ever beneficial nutrients needed without trashing the rest of the sand bed. I just picked up a load Southdown sand from a member and it is very fine and white. I dont want it to get mixed with da funky sand.

Thanks for the help.

Yea, Mineral mud can provide the extra nutrients for the plants, but yes you will really have to have it separate from that pure white southdown! As you said... its funky stuff! :yuk:

Good stuff man. I am not quite ready to purchase any items yet. I am still in the planning stages. This is definetly looking like something I want to do though. I will be in touch!

Thanks

Back