Sea hare opinion wanted

Yeah there really is lol.
But I think it would be awesome to see something like this being passed around :)
Just keep in mind that salinity has to be the same from the tank he's coming from.
Not to mention other corals or fish that might hurt them. But it might not be a bad idea keeps them happy

Hey @sharis100 We could split one if you're interested in getting one. I've always got some hair algae and while it isn't enough to justify getting one right now, I could sure keep it fed for a week or two and we could pass it back and forth or on to someone else. Or you mgiht be able to move it between your systems but the kitchen was looking pretty clear the last time I was over there.

Hey @sharis100 We could split one if you're interested in getting one. I've always got some hair algae and while it isn't enough to justify getting one right now, I could sure keep it fed for a week or two and we could pass it back and forth or on to someone else. Or you mgiht be able to move it between your systems but the kitchen was looking pretty clear the last time I was over there.
Great idea! Mainly my frag system with the algae from their time in the trough :( would love to share custody of a sea hare and then pass on to someone else.

@jcook54 premier is out of donabella seahares, trying to see if their shipment this week will have one or not. Will call around.

Rit @ AA had a couple of them, sold me one. He said he will take it back for half credit if it tears through my tank’s algae and I don’t want to feed it directly.

We’ll see. So far he hasn’t stopped eating...

+1 on Rit. I rented one from him for about two weeks a couple of years ago. It took only that long for the sea hare to tear through and demolish a back wall full of hair algae on a 210 DT. I forget what the exact cost was. However, after two weeks, I remember getting back half of what I paid for it.

That's great use of the club to pass something like this from one to another to keep it alive and help everybody along the way. I wouldn't mind having one for a time in my BioCube, which is too small for tangs and various other algae eaters.
@Totes has mine now. I've got first dibs on Shrek when @Totes is done, in case I have an algae issue with this new tank, but if I don't need him, I'm hoping to pass him to someone who does! He's truly my favorite CUC member - so cool :D

I have a biggish one now, he is so cute. My daughter has not shared his name with me yet. He seems to be a good eater, and moves fairly rapidly for such an odd looking creature. He apparently has his favorite feeding spots, which I am hoping he expands over the next few days or so. Then, he is going to move into my other systems and graze there as well. And hopefully, he will passed over to Justin once this pandemic and social distancing ends.6E738018-F9AB-4B4F-B33F-994D454AF831.jpeg

That's awesome. Mine moved ALL around the tank - sides, bottoms, corals - didn't matter. He ate like a pig - he's much larger than when I bought him. Hahaha :p

So it says you must have chemical filtration, are we talking about carbon? Also how hard is it to catch when time to go bye bye?!

So it says you must have chemical filtration, are we talking about carbon? Also how hard is it to catch when time to go bye bye?!
Carbon if something happens and they die or get injured. They are super easy to catch if you can see them.

Carbon if something happens and they die or get injured. They are super easy to catch if you can see them.
The carbon is mainly for if they ink. But I didn't have any issues with mine - and had my carbon reactor turned off the entire time I had mine.

They can bury themselves in the sandbed if you have one also. Just be aware in case he disappears like ours did for a few days.

@Totes has mine now. I've got first dibs on Shrek when @Totes is done, in case I have an algae issue with this new tank, but if I don't need him, I'm hoping to pass him to someone who does! He's truly my favorite CUC member - so cool :D
I would more then happy to feed him for a while after you, I promise I have plenty of food for him. Just don't get mad if he comes back fat!!!lol

Sadly, our sea hare passed, looks like a hermit decided to attack his backside and the sea hare did not live. Tank looks fine, water volume is high so maybe that is why. Added a bag of carbon to be safe. Nothing out of wack chemically on testing, so keeping fingers crossed that all is well. Feel so bad for the sea hare :((((

Back