sea hare -plauge reduction?

jade76;194834 wrote: not to derail this thread, but does anyone have any opinions on the MRC-2's? Im really limited on sump space and it seems that it would fit perfect, I just wonder if they are efficent (especially with an extra injector and an beefed up pump)?

becket skimmers are the most inefficient skimmers around. They work well, but require a lot of juice and maintenance.

I bought a few hundred pounds of live rock that was covered with green hair algae and didn't get it under control and gone until I got a sea hare. As a matter of fact I had two of them. The first one I put in the rubbermaid tub and it did a great job but unfortunately it died well before it got through all the algae. It ended up on the bottom of the tub for quite a while and when I emptied the tup to move it there was a very black tar like lump on the bottom that really smelled bad. I've heard that they are toxic if they die, however the corals and gbta did not seem to have any ill effects from it. I got another one, but this time I rotated the worst rocks through the 20L I had plumbed in with the tub and kept the sea hare in it so I could keep an eye on it. It also died after having it for a couple of months even though there was still plenty of algae left for it to eat but skimming and water changes got rid of the rest.

Skriz;194941 wrote: becket skimmers are the most inefficient skimmers around. They work well, but require a lot of juice and maintenance.

I think this is a very misleading statement. The do use more power than say a needlewheel, and defintiely require more routine maintennace, but they also costs a fraction, and, in my opinion, clean the water just as much, if not more, than any needlewheel.

I swear by becketts, but I also love doing maintenance.

jmaneyapanda;194967 wrote: I think this is a very misleading statement. The do use more power than say a needlewheel, and defintiely require more routine maintennace, but they also costs a fraction, and, in my opinion, clean the water just as much, if not more, than any needlewheel.

I swear by becketts, but I also love doing maintenance.

It's not misleading! I did acknowledge that they work well. BUT, I addressed his question on efficiency. Beckett skimmers are inefficient, period! Yes, they cost lost than most needle wheel skimmers, and yes they work well, but do they work efficiently? No.

As far as the cost issue goes, I HATE cleaning out the becketts and tinkering with the skimmer. For a beckett skimmer to work well, you must constantly clean it. For me, it's worth the extra initial expense of a skimmer which does not require such heavy maintenance. The nw skimmers will also use more efficient pumps.

Skriz;195027 wrote: It's not misleading! I did acknowledge that they work well. BUT, I addressed his question on efficiency. Beckett skimmers are inefficient, period! Yes, they cost lost than most needle wheel skimmers, and yes they work well, but do they work efficiently? No.

As far as the cost issue goes, I HATE cleaning out the becketts and tinkering with the skimmer. For a beckett skimmer to work well, you must constantly clean it. For me, it's worth the extra initial expense of a skimmer which does not require such heavy maintenance. The nw skimmers will also use more efficient pumps.

Effeciency in what? Power consumption? Yes, comparatively ineffecient. In waste removal? Not any more ineffecient than any other skimmer. In setup cost? Far more effecient. Thats all I meant about it being misleading. Effeciency describes many different aspects.

You have betrayed Shiva!!

dawgdude;195034 wrote: Im toying with getting a Dart NW skimmer. If I have a dart, do you know where I can get a NW for it or should I just mesh modd the stock one?

You have to order it from sequence.

jmaneyapanda;195069 wrote: Effeciency in what? Power consumption? Yes, comparatively ineffecient. In waste removal? Not any more ineffecient than any other skimmer. In setup cost? Far more effecient. Thats all I meant about it being misleading. Effeciency describes many different aspects.

You have betrayed Shiva!!

I'll cut you!

Back