Sea horse tank?

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
Thinking of putting together a sea horse tank, what do you think?
Haven't done any research yet, but my wife allowed me a saltwater tank so she can have a few sea horse, well that didn't happen so now, guess what?!
What set up?
Stock?
Pump flow / lights, guess I just need to know everything before hand.
Let me have it and don't hold anything back.
Thanks

Use the 33g long that you have for the seahorse tank. That would make a sweet tank for them!

I would like to use it but I like'd like to use one that is reef ready with the over flow and that one is not.
I do have a rr 65 gal. That I can use.

You can make it reef ready! That's what I did with mine.
ebumu3em.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Yep. Got the kit from gl**s holes. I have upgraded the tank to a 100g and turned the 33g into planted tank this passed Sunday.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Make sure you get tank bred. Tank height is much more important than tank length. They're not really beginners fish, but they're not super challenging either. Unlike most 'community' fish, you really have to plan your tank around their needs.

Poke around here:

http://www.seahorse.com/">http://www.seahorse.com/</a>
I've been to their facility and they really know their ****.

Also, as per usual, here:
[IMG]http://www.wetwebmedia.com">www.wetwebmedia.com</a>

I feed frozen mysis and reef frenzy twice a day. once on lazy days

The keys to Seahorses I feel are.....

A. environment proper tank size and dimensions. Taller rather than wider, this just tailors to the way they swim and interact. It would be odd to see them in a shallow long tank.

B. Water conditions stable and clean. I just took my reef skills over to the horse tank.

c. Seahorses don't have a stomach. so food goes in and food comes out with minimal absorption. Nutrition and feeding is very important. They can only go about a 2-3 days with out feeding and even at that there system can shutdown and will never eat again.

D. Captive healthy specimens!!

These are the basics that got me started and have been proved successful

Here is a pic of my horse tank.

Unfortunately this pic doesn't show my Ponies there behind the rock, but i keep A single Pair of H.erectus. with several different types of Macro algae, to help maintain a pod population for them to pick at and hunt in between feedings.

Tank is a 25 solana.

Oh one more thing, flow is kinda an issue with seahorses. To little you get cyanos and algae issues, to much they blow around and can get injured. So I vary my flow a little....... plug in powerheads for a little while unplug them for a little while. They do enjoy swimming in the current a bit, but seems to wear them out quickly.

This could go on all day. LOL

Hitching post.. things for them to wrap there tails around and rest hunt etc. Important as well.

I think dwarf seahorses are easy in my opinion. Ill have to find some pics of them and their tank but i use to breed them. I successfully raised 7 of them to adulthood out of all the times they bred. Sadly i had a horrible tank crash when i moved and it killed all but 2 of them so i just have them away. I wouldn't mind setting another tank up. And the tricky thing for be was flow and food. They were so small so I couldn't have to much flow. And for some reason the wouldn't eat prepared food so i had to feed them brine and pods. And the baby dwarfs had to eat bbs. Very interesting animals but kind of hard to keep up with.

Would a Red Sea Max 130 be a suitable set up for seahorses?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Please go on, I need all the information I can get before I get started.
I welcome all the opinions and advice.

nassar0505;946409 wrote: This could go on all day. LOL

Hitching post.. things for them to wrap there tails around and rest hunt etc. Important as well.

Back