Seabae: Parasitic Infection

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I was feeding the tank last night and saw that one of my Black Seabae Clowns was swimming in circles by the powerhead. After taking a closer look it has a pin sized hole above it's eye. After researching on WetWebMedia I concluded that it is being attacked by a parasitic worm. I tried to catch the clown but it still was quite coherent and was able to hide in the rocks. This morning the I looked for it and couldn't find it but I am sure this afternoon it won't be alive. Always sad to think that a pair is going to be broken up, my other Seabae will surely miss it's mate. I've had this pair for almost 2 years.:sad:

Ack! That's scary. I hope it makes it... Are your other fish in any possible danger?

FutureInterest;183098 wrote: Ack! That's scary. I hope it makes it... Are your other fish in any possible danger?

From what I read it could effect the other fish, but without catching him I really can't do much. Hopefully it will just be a localized occurrence.

mark, can you catch the fish and take a picture?!? When you do, PM me and Panda and we should be able to get it cleared up for ya!

Xyzpdq0121;183103 wrote: mark, can you catch the fish and take a picture?!? When you do, PM me and Panda and we should be able to get it cleared up for ya!

Thanks Brandon...will do if he's still making it when I get home today.

At least post a link to the wetwebmedia area you saw that. I am curious to know what typ of worm would make a specific hole like you mentioned.

Finally caught it last night and it's now, hopefully recovering in my QT. I treated with Furan-2 and trying to get it to eat Anti-biotic drops. It's still eating some so hoping for the best.

Does the article say how something like that is most commonly introduced into your tank?

(Glad to hear you caught him and can try to treat him...Hope it goes well :up: )

Good job Mark. You've had those for a while, they were the first thing that caught my eye in your tank. I hope it pulls through.

After all the treatments, Macyrn(SP) and using Epson Salt to help with the swelling my Black Seabae still has one pop-eye. He is eating and swimming well in my QT tank but I can't get his pop-eye cured. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well after almost 4 weeks of being in QT my Black Seabae looks like it's going to make it! The pop-eye is not so pop'd and the leasion on it's side has almost gone away. I'll probably re-intro him back into the 160 this weekend. I know it's partner has missed him dearly!

flyingarmy;191826 wrote: Well after almost 4 weeks of being in QT my Black Seabae looks like it's going to make it! The pop-eye is not so pop'd and the leasion on it's side has almost gone away. I'll probably re-intro him back into the 160 this weekend. I know it's partner has missed him dearly!

Mark, this is great news!

Thanks for keeping us posted; I love hearing success stories about fish recovery as it seems so many of these cases end badly. It can be dishearting at times and learning that one little guy makes it is quite the upper.

:)

A good cure for popeye that I have found is to turn off all light. Hope that helps!

Seabae is cured and back in the display tank. Something really wierd was that once re-introduced all the fish, even it's mate that it has been with for over 2 years treated it like an outsider. It was in QT for a month, guess they forgot each other.

Yeah thats tough water to tread there. Too bad you couldn't catch both to pull and treat. Hopefully they will calm down tho.

Back