Seachem Purigen vs Carbon

I use Purigen on every one of my tanks. I've got a few different bags that I'm always recharging and putting back into service. It's hard to tell exactly how well they work compared to carbon because I don't necessarily measure the organics that they remove. I use them because when I put them in nice and clean, after a few weeks they're gross and dark brown. They've got to be doing something, right? The purigen is on all the time and I only run carbon when I think something might be wrong, after I've scrubbed polyps or palys or when I want to increase the water's clarity. For chemical or toxin removal I trust carbon. As a regular-use export of organic compounds, Purigen is my weapon of choice.

I have it in my head that Purigen is a little, I don't know, "gentler" on things? Unfortunately for you and anyone reading this I don't have hard evidence to back this up, it's just my own perception.

We’re new to the hobby still, but we keep a bag of carbon in the sump. No idea the frequency of changes, but maybe that’s the cause of my recent diatom bloom. Either that or the stirring of the sand the husband thought was effective - not!

I use Purigen on every one of my tanks. I've got a few different bags that I'm always recharging and putting back into service. It's hard to tell exactly how well they work compared to carbon because I don't necessarily measure the organics that they remove. I use them because when I put them in nice and clean, after a few weeks they're gross and dark brown. They've got to be doing something, right? The purigen is on all the time and I only run carbon when I think something might be wrong, after I've scrubbed polyps or palys or when I want to increase the water's clarity. For chemical or toxin removal I trust carbon. As a regular-use export of organic compounds, Purigen is my weapon of choice.

I have it in my head that Purigen is a little, I don't know, "gentler" on things? Unfortunately for you and anyone reading this I don't have hard evidence to back this up, it's just my own perception.
How do you use it? Do you put it in a reactor or just put it in a high flow area?

Purigen can be used in numerous ways. When I had a 32gal BioCube I had a canister filter that I put it in. You can put it in a media bag in a filter sock. You can use it in a carbon/gfo reactor. However you use it, you just want to make sure water is flowing through it.

I don't use it anymore - I don't use carbon or GFO unless I think there's a problem - but if it makes you more comfortable, then there's definitely no problem using it. However, once you dial in your feeding/tank needs and your algae growth/cuc ratios, you shouldn't need it anymore. I find more and more this hobby is all about balance and maintaining it.

Well it is a FOWLR system with fish that see CUC mostly as a meal so they don't last to long LOL, lol, rofl

Back