Seahorses'

tnyga

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone do these...I am going to but would love some guidance..

thanks

Russ

russ,

talk to Lenny...he is great. Also, if you search there is a ton of posts on here with helpful links and discussions that Lenny has led.

My own advice....make sure you have the time....you have to feed them everyday and if you cant somebody else will. The feeding process takes about 20minutes in my experience.

Good luck....they are amazing little creaturesa and a blast to watch.

Please buy captive raised ones. They will be eating prepared foods. You cannot get them cheap.
PM me if you have some questions. I do have limited experience taking care of h.kuda and h.whitei

Lots of great info at:

a>

fishwhisperer;124553 wrote: Please buy captive raised ones. They will be eating prepared foods. You cannot get them cheap.
PM me if you have some questions. I do have limited experience taking care of h.kuda and h.whitei
I do not beleive you can buy wild caught ones anymore, they are CITES II potected.

I saw some at a wholesaler last week. They are collected illegally, but still available.

flinster;124630 wrote: I saw some at a wholesaler last week. They are collected illegally, but still available.
It is illegal to possess illegally obtained animals- I dont get it.

jmaneyapanda;124631 wrote: It is illegal to possess illegally obtained animals- I dont get it.

I get it. Unfortunately, if the demand is there, the supply will probably be there. Combine an unethical seller with an equally unethical buyer and you have a marriage.

:(

Linda Lee;124634 wrote: I get it. Unfortunately, if the demand is there, the supply will probably be there. Combine an unethical seller with an equally unethical buyer and you have a marriage.

:(

No, I dont think I am making my point clear. If someone illegally imports a CITES appendix II animal, and then offers it for sale, they are commiting a fedral and international crime. It is animal smuggling. While I am sure this goes on, no wholesaler would be dumb enough to announce that they are committing international and fedral crimes. That is a quick way to have their business shut down at the very least. While I do not dispute that flinster may have been told this, I cannot believe it is true. Take another species, such as a primate, or some other animal. If they are Appendix II, they must be documented and registered to be captive bred animals. Otherwise, they CANNOT be legally imported into the US. What do you think would happen to the pet store that tried to sell this animal claiming "it is illegally wild caught"? It doesnt make sense.

I know illegal animal trade goes on, I deal with the side effects of it every week in my workplace. But, the details of this statement really confuse me.

Flinster, what wholesaler told you this? I would really like to know.

dawgdude;124546 wrote: Where can you get Seahorses for fairly cheap? I would want a couple but they are like 60-70 each!
i have seen some at aviaruim for cheap.

jayroc24;124693 wrote: here is another one I found last night, these are tank bred.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=40">http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=40</a>[/QUOTE]

TY Jay

Well I got about 30-35 pounds of rock in the tank...patience now

Is it true that they will eat frozen foods? I thought they would only eat live foods...

It is now illegal to sell anything but captive-bred. Be very wary of cheap seahorses - they may be illegally obtained.

They do eat frozen shrimp. Ray, Margi, Lenny, Porter, and Kayla all have had seahorses and can give you good information. Seahorse.org is also very good.

Mught be picking your brain Steve...Ty

Does anyone have a running pony tank??

Back