Seahorses'

Slim pickings. Margi knows horses, not me.

She just got rid of her last horse a few weeks ago and made it a softy tank. She WAY overfeeds her horses (and family) so the tank was a nitrate factory. We finally convinced her to change the tank after unsuccessfully changing her feeding habits.

What I know:

They live for about 1-2 years at best.

They need low flow, few other inhibitants (nothing that will compete for food). Lighting requirements are low. They are nearsighted and not the brightest bulbs in the pack, so they take time finding their food. You sometimes need to turkey baste the food near them.

They will have young frequently in an established tank, but it is ALOT of work to raise them.

Seahorse.org talks about different vendors, which vary over time.

Marine Fish and Cap Bay get in horses every once in awhile. Make sure they are healthy. We once took a mercy purchase of a sick horse (which was probably wild caught). It died and took all the other horses with them.

Kayla (Flipturn88) is a real master of horses.

I don't think it's that hard to keep seahorses if you have the right setup and a little time for maintenence. I know quite a few other reefers that spend a lot more time futzing with their tanks than I do, lol.

Right now, its tough to find a decently priced captive bred seahorse, but there a few reputable sources. I would highly recommend you get them from a seahorse specific breeding facility, and the prices in those joints range from around $70 to $300. IMO... a $70 horse is just as good as a $300 horse if they both came from good breeding facilities. Most places are charging more for either size, sexing, or color. Size (and therefore age) is up to you as to what you want to start with, but avoid choosing a pricy one that is beautifully colored... because it wont necessarily stay that color.

In an 18 nano.. I'd recommend against it. Most of my research leads me to believe that at least a 29gal is best for seriously raising them and giving them a chance to breed. They need at least 18" of vertical height, and preferably 24" for normal social interaction, including daily greeting rituals and courting/mating. Most folks think that the seahorses just sit around in one spot all day, but I find that in my tank, they are constantly on the move. They hunt for pods, they play with each other... they take rides in the return flow.....

In general they like lower flow, but some of them prefer a good flow at time... the problem with a tank your size seems that it would be hard to offer them spots with varying flow and lighting conditions, due to the limited space.

Most captive bred horses have been trained since birth to eat frozen foods, in general Enriched Mysis Shrimp. They love live foods though, and will gobble up brine and whatnot all day long if you let them.. (though you shouldnt, haha).

My research leads me to think that the lifespan is more along the 3yr average, though theres people out there who've had seahorses live to 5 years. From my experience, I have had 15 seahorses in the tank in the last 18 months. I've lost two to unknown reasons, and one that was a "mercy" purchase (which I would never do again.. but I was young and idealistic. haha). My 12 current herd members are doing great, and staggered over 3 age ranges so hopefully I wont lose them all to old age at the same time.

Hope this helps. If you're gonna do it, I'd recommend a larger tank.

If you'd like to see my tank, please contact me through pm and Ill arrange it. I was hoping to show it off on the tour this weekend but Im not sure if I will be back in town in time, so if anyone else wants to see it, feel free to pm me as well.

Ok Lenny...I took your advice...I broke down the 18 last night for a 30 oceanic, 23 inches high, it has a cpr aquafuge on the rear...Ill call you tonight to chat more..

thanks for your input, I dont want to start out this venture wrong with the tank...

Thanks Again!

hey russ....told that guy lenny kinda knows what he is talking about;)

Lenny. I'd love to see your tank sometime before I get outta here....

from my time in dealing w/ seahorses....I can at least say this....they tell you what they like and what they dont....it's really easy to tell when they are unhappy. For example once I changed the flow in my tank and the ponies who were always moving around just stayed still. I put the flow back to the way it was and sure enough within minutes they were swimming around like crazy....if you keep a close eye on them and make sure they are eating you should be good.....

I agree with Lenny that 18 is a bit small.....so I am glad you went with the 30 (not to mention that is a beautiful tank). I mean you could have done it in 18 but maybe just a couple. In 30 you can fit 15 probably. And it's awesome that it has fuge! That will help.....get it started with some cheato that has tons of life on it and you'll be set.

Send some pics when you have it all set up.

If you guys can coordinate doing it at the same time you'll definitely save some buck on shipping....that would be the route id take.

The recommended stocking density for seahorses if 1 pair to 10 gallons of capacity. If you have great filtration you can play with that a little, but for a 30gal i'd recommend staying at no more than 3 pairs until the system is stable for a while. If you can get the parameters under control, then maybe a fourth pair.

Ill do max 2 pair...

I will tell you for sure Dawg...Tim can get them from ORA also...plus Im sure Lenny can point us in the right direction

Jgoal55;126151 wrote: In 30 you can fit 15 probably

I always forget that sarcasm (in this case Cuban exaggeration) doesnt come across too well when you type things out. Thanks for the correction there Lenny.

Joal you mean you werent serious>??? I just ordered 15 of em!! ACccccck

ok ok ok j/k

jmaneyapanda;124643 wrote: No, I dont think I am making my point clear. If someone illegally imports a CITES appendix II animal, and then offers it for sale, they are commiting a fedral and international crime. It is animal smuggling. While I am sure this goes on, no wholesaler would be dumb enough to announce that they are committing international and fedral crimes. That is a quick way to have their business shut down at the very least. While I do not dispute that flinster may have been told this, I cannot believe it is true. Take another species, such as a primate, or some other animal. If they are Appendix II, they must be documented and registered to be captive bred animals. Otherwise, they CANNOT be legally imported into the US. What do you think would happen to the pet store that tried to sell this animal claiming "it is illegally wild caught"? It doesnt make sense.

I know illegal animal trade goes on, I deal with the side effects of it every week in my workplace. But, the details of this statement really confuse me.

Flinster, what wholesaler told you this? I would really like to know.
A wholesaler didn't tell this to me, I saw them with my own eyes. I go to this particular wholesaler ever month or so, and they almost always have "wild caught" horses. Next time I'm there, I'm snap a photo on my camera phone. Again, I have NO reason to make this up. A friend of mine ownes a lfs and lets me go and hand pick fish from this wholesaler. PM me if you want more particular info.

Back