Send in the clowns - which ones?

sshindell

Lifetime
Reaction score
Ok, IN my 400 gallon tank I have one true percula in my sebae, and nobody in my new large carpet two feet away.

What clowns would you get? How many?

I have a pair of Black Perculas they are beautiful fish Steve and would love a nice carpet to host in! I bought them at CAP Bay last year, there might be a pair around somewhere at the the LSF. Good luck!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
84645=5367-IMG_1255.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
84645=5367-IMG_1255.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1255.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I would put 3 clowns in there Steve, that would look nice!

flyingarmy;84645 wrote: I have a pair of Black Perculas they are beautiful fish Steve and would love a nice carpet to host in! I bought them at CAP Bay last year, there might be a pair around somewhere at the the LSF. Good luck!
Not to be a neysayer, but thats not a black perc.

Anyway, I would suggest skunks. They are pretty docile.

Get a bunch of dominos on the carpet, that would be nice.

jmaneyapanda;84660 wrote: Not to be a neysayer, but thats not a black perc.

Anyway, I would suggest skunks. They are pretty docile.

I stand corrected...it's a version of a Saddleback Clown. Still a beautiful reef safe clown, just not as costly as a Black Perc.

glxtrix;84662 wrote: when i had that carpet i had 3 dominos and they loved it!

Was this your carpet originally?

It is the healthiest carpet I have seen. He is so sticky I literally could not get it to let go of me when I put it in the tank, even by putting flow directly on him. He finially attached more to some rocks, and let go of me.

Initially it was Robs. I got it from him and had it for almost a year. I loved that thing. I've had almost every anemone available. He was by far the best color, fullness and yes stickiness of any carpet. When I sold him to Skriz my hand got stuck to it as well and it didnt let go of me for almost 40 minutes. It was a sad day when I sold him, so I might have to come by your office to see him :( but I know he'll be in good hands with you Steve :)

I am a bit worried though - I was e-mailing Anthony Calfo about some things and mentioned the Sebae and carpet together. He felt that over time (maybe 18 months) the sebae will suffer damage from the carpet, even in a big aquarium. I will have to keep a close eye on him..but he looks great right now.

I know I didnt have a sabae with him at the time, but I did have 2 bubble tips, one regular and one rose within very close proximity. At times the rose would touch the carpet. There never seemed to be any issues. I'ld say they were in the tank together within close range for almost a yr. And they were only in a 25g tank.

That is pretty amazing and somewhat reassuring. Anthony talks about carpets eventually winning any toxin war with any other anemone, no matter how good the conditions.

I believe jeremy had said something about that. I'm not saying it wont happen, but I never exp. it. And come to think about it, I didnt even run a skimmer on that tank for a long time, I'd say the last 4 months of that tank being setup only had a skimmer going.

The only anemone, and I've handled just about all of them, to ever actually leave a welt on me was a Carribean Carpet Anemone. There's not a thing on this planet could ever host in THAT thing.

Carpets in general have a much more powerful nematocyst. Hence the extra stickiness.

washowi;84719 wrote: Here's a suggestion

http://www.rettalbot.com/AquaSite/ClownfishAnemone.html">http://www.rettalbot.com/AquaSite/ClownfishAnemone.html</a>[/QUOTE]

Nice chart! +1 HA!

Not to be jack your thread, but how important is having some sort of anemone for you clown to host in related to the success of keeping clowns?

I've tried two ocelaris before (which was early on in my saltwater life) and I did not have success. Partially due to the place I got them from IMO. But I somewhat gave up on the fish because I didn't have an anemone for them to host in.

It is entirely unnecessary to have an anemone to have success with clowns. I've had them breed on top of mushrooms before. I've also had them take to fake anemones.

Back